Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spathyglottis deplanchii

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 13:25

A warm growing terrestrial from New Caledonia. It is closely related to Spathyglottis plicata which is found everywhere except South America. Plicata is considered an invasive species in Hawaii and the Caribbean. Plicata comes in all colors. Jay Phal keeps them apart.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spathyglottis deplanchii

Has large leaves, can take full sun.

Nick

o

Lovely. Could invade my yard any day!

Jane

o

I have it in my yard. Thanks Nick for all the info I did not know...I got one in white also.

o

Your photos are lovely.

o

I have a white one whose tag reads Sphatyglottis plicata. Plicata comes in all colors including red. Deplanchi apparently does not come in colors other than red although it may simple be a synonym for splicata.

I got a plant from Kawamoto (Hawaii) once which had some sprouts growing out of the pot. They did not look like the usual weeds so I asked Reid about them. He told me that it was Spathyglottis plicata which grows all over their nursery and invades their pots. I tried to raise some from that pot but did not succeed.

Nick

o

I must have plicate because I have white and pink. They look alike.

o

Looking much better now.

Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here