Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Pleione formosana 'Oriental Splendor'

aachenelf z5 Mpls
14 years ago

Unfortunately only 3 buds opened at the same time. Still 4 more to go, but they wonÂt be open for a few days yet. Flowers are a bit over 2 inches across.

{{gwi:138714}}

Kevin

Comments (12)

• raphael_toronto
    14 years ago

What a show Kevin! Mine are still in process. Share your culture so I can compare notes.

• carolinn_on
    14 years ago

Wow! What a stunner! A couple of days ago I was perusing a new plant catalogue and fantasizing over these again...

Wish I lived in the semi-tropics like you and Raphael.

Carol

• bayard
    14 years ago

Very nice! One of these days I'd like to try these again...

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

How lovely
    Olya

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all.

Raphael - I've pretty much followed the advice on the Pleione Website. I use their suggested potting mix of bark, perlite and sphag, watering very little until I see evidence of vegetative grow and then lots of water throughout the summer months. I grow these outside at that time with morning sun and some later in the afternoon. This past year, I kept them growing until sometime in Nov and then dried them off until the leaves turned yellow. Took them out of the pot, packed them in dry peat in a closed plastic container and into the fridge the went. I started seeing sprouts in late Feb and potted them up.

Carol - Yes, semi tropics here. It snowed last weekend while I was working on my tan. Bummer.

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

Pleiones are really growing on me. And yours looks to be a manageable size. They are lovely, lovely shape and really charming fringe-y lip.

All these comments about semi tropics and being southerners are making me smile. You're making me feel downright tropical, what with the snow flurries in the forecast and all. Reminds me of when I lived in Anchorage, and people started donning the tank tops and shorts when the temps started hitting 45-50F. I'm in my down coat, and the guy next to me at the grocery store is in shorts and a tank top, and maybe even flip flops. By the way, Anchorage is Zone 5, funny enough (according to Arbor Day website). But it doesn't get hot in the summer, at all. I do miss that. 75 degree summer days...

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    14 years ago

quinnfyre - Yes, these are a very manageable size. It's also nice having something that takes up 0 space during the winter months when they're packed away in the fridge. Of course they do multiply. I started with 2 of these 3-4 years ago and now have seven blooming sized bulbs with a whole bunch of little ones, but I'm sure if I ever wanted to get rid of some traders (or buyers) would not be hard to find.

K

• carolinn_on
    14 years ago

Kevin, we have 2 Cyp. species growing all winter in our yard and blooming well in the spring, but that must be because they are growing near hot air pipe, installed for tea roses (which didn't do well). They're also very well mulched.

There are quite a few different orchids that apparently grow well in zones 4-7 outdoors. And don't forget your lovely native plant.

Those Pleiones really got me fantasizing again...I'm thinking of an autumn blooming Pleione maculata (just discovered from a quick search this morning).

Must do more research or forget about it...

Carol

• Charm
    14 years ago

Good growing! very pretty!~Charm

• carolinn_on
    14 years ago

Instead of "lovely native plant" I meant lovely state flower of Minnesota, one of the Cyps I grow in our yard.

Carol

• raphael_toronto
    14 years ago

Oh Kevin, how enticing..too bad you are all the way over yonder.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Carol - Many times I've thought of trying some of our natives in my garden, but they are so expensive and once again we have that ongoing problem with those digging monsters from hell (squirrels). They always head straight for my most cherished plants.

There is a clump of Cypripedium reginae over 100 years old in the Eloise Butler Wildflower Garden not that far from my house , IÂve seen it in bloom a few times and it is magnificent.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?