Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Three kind of cute ones

Posted by aachenelf z5 Mpls, MN (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 08 at 13:52

Sarcochilus harmannii

The famous Australian native. First bloom from a $4 seedling purchased from Oak Hill a few years ago. $4 well spent IMO.
Sarcochilus harmannii

Encyclia cyperifolia (purple form)
Found in Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador and Columbia. Another small grower with really nice, grass-like foliage.
Encyclia cyperifolia (purple form)

Dendrobium hercoglossum
Found in Thailand, Burma and Malaysia. I really shouldnt even own this one since it doesnt fit the bill as a mini, but we all have to make exceptions to our rules I guess. This one has a very rambling growth habit with clusters of nicely fragrant blooms along the often leafless PBs. Will often continue to flower into summer.
Dendrobium hercoglossum

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Three kind of cute ones

They are darling! you've done well!~Charm

o

ooh I like the looks of that encyclia. I'm scared of hercoglossum cause things that lose their leaves make me think 'too difficult'

o

Love the colors on the encyclia... is it fragrant, too?

o

Cuties. I really like that Sarc. Whatta buy!

Marci

o

Wow, three beauties. Your Sarc was indeed a great buy! I just got a $4. P schilly from OHG, a very nice plant. Might even bloom next winter. Love the dendrobium.

Sheila :)

o

Very cute- esp the sarc and the Dend. Could your dend be Dend aduncum- so hard to diff from hercoglossum, but I found the canes a little longer. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dend aduncum

o

Thanks guys.

Rita - no fragrance one the Encyclia that I can detect.

sambac - I don't think so. Jay's states that the aduncum has branching canes which mine does not. It sure forms a lot of keikis though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here