Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thrixosperma centipeda

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 15:13

A war grower found in Guangxi, Hainan and Yunnan provinces of China, Hong Kong, the eastern Himalayas, Assam, Myanamar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Penninsular Malaysia, Borneo, Java, Sulawesi, Sumatra and the Philippines. 2 groups, one with flowers lined up in 2 rows like this one while the other group of this 100 member genus has the flowers facing in all directions.

The inflos were complete almost 3 month ago. 4 weeks ago it opened one flower. As I waited for more flowers to open it faded after 3 to 4 days, no more flowers opened until today. I know better now and struck while the iron is hot and took pictures. It has a nice fragrance.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thrixosperma centipeda

Another view.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

The whole plant with another inflorescence, ultimately a flower will emerge from each little notch, one at a time. They say grow it like a Vanda, leave it in the small basket as it will make a beard of roots.

Nick

o

I can see where part of the name comes from. If there is a sister planet I'm expecting centipeda to be there...magnificent plant. Is it difficult to grow? Are there any for sale?

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 19:54

o

There is a synonym, artiafa or something like that. I have the name at home. It was sold to me with that name on the tag but if you look it up on Jay's list, he redirects you to centipedes. Seems to be easy enough, warm grower

Nick

o

I got it as Thr arachnites from eBay. I don't remember the vendor's name sorry. The tag is not helpful.

Sorry, Nick

o

Very unusual looking plant. Love the idea of it being fragrant.

o

There is one offered on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thrixspermum-centipeda-orchid-species-/131170391027?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8a5d53f3

Nick

o

I found a few on ebay. When I tried to finish the order I got various messages on vacation, be back soon, etc. I will try another time. Thanks for the effort.

o

Thrixospermum hystrics, bears no resemblance to the other one. Found in Thailand, Laos, Java, Sumatra, Suluwesi and the Philippines, little thing.

Nick

o

The whole plant.

Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here