Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

o
The Floof Club.

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 16:11

I was reading 'Harry Potter' book #6 to my grandson and ran across the 'Slug Club', a gathering formed by Professor Slughorn. At that time I got the idea of forming a 'Floof Club', one post where everyone can dump their floofs. Let's see how long it takes to reach 100. I'm not a species snob and I'm also not a hybrid snob, so I'll post my species Catts in here too.

Will get the ball rolling with Lc Trick ot Treat, a wonderful hybrid as old as Methusalem. I remember buying that 18 years ago when I first got infected with the orchid virus, somewhat like being bitten by a Werewolf since I'm in the Harry Potter mode.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Floof Club.

The entire plant, or what's left of it after 100 divisions.

Nick

o

Cattleya aurantica 'Spotted Queen', some what similar but a species. Found in Mexico and El Salvador.

Nick

o

Potinaria Tropical Orange 'Apricosa', A big plant, covered with flowers but got highjacked by one of my daughters. By the time I got it back there was one flower left.

Nick

o

Slc Jewell Box ' Dark Waters', again, one of the ones I've had for ever. When you keep salt water fish, they all eventually seem to die. Orchids on the other hand, either die when they first get exposed to your expert care, or, if they survive that, last forever and just get bigger and bigger and bigger. There are a few flowers on the other side.

Nick

o

The flowers.

Nick

o

I need help. Please define floooffff. I needed the f's because the computer changed it to r for floor. a bunch of f's gets me past it. Computers...
Could it be the art shade catts?

o

Floof is both a derogatory and endearing term for the endless varieties of Cattleya alliance hybrids. The ultimate floof would be an 8" to 10" beautiful Blc or Lc. I like them and I have a bunch of them. I also belong to 3 different species groups that won't grow them. I think I like all orchids, species and hybrids but since there must be at least 10,000 (Arthur will tell us the correct number) Catt alliance hybrids, I thought it would be neat to lump them in one thread.

Every one do as you see fit, it all works.

Nick

o

Such beautiful plants and bright happy colors!

o

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 19:38

Cannot agree with that definition! A floof is a large Standard type "Cattleya" Hybrid that arrives at an orchid show packed in corsets which the owner carefully removes just before the Judging Panel arrives. Said orchid might receive Champion Orchid of the show and it looks pretty good for a day or so.....and then it flops all over the place.
Blc. Sylvia Fry 'Supreme'
Blc. Sylvia Fry 'Supreme'

Just ignore those Species snobs with their beards and degrees.

On the other hand you have to wonder where some of the breeding is going. Here is one of my hybrids where the lip and the petals are almost identical.
Lc. Alsaks Pattern
Lc. Alsaks Pattern 'Rosemeath'

One of the old time orchid judges used to talk about Charm and Distinction,
Probably doesn’t apply in this case.

o

Thank you Arthur, I guess it is what you want it to be. For us it includes all the big Catt hybrids, not the Brassovola hybrids. I guess, the definition changes with local.
Here is Potinaria (now defunct) Scarlet Dynasty 'Kubla Kahn'.

Nick

o

C Circassian Angel 'Summer Stars'. Definitely not Floof but it's a big tent.

Nick

o

Latna Renate 'S & W'

Nick

o

Nick - here's my offering - Slc (probably just Cattleya by now) Tutankhamen 'Pop":

Slc Tutankhamen 'Pop" photo IMG_0112a.jpg

Beautiful red color!

Tucker

o

Is this flooff? slc Valentine todd

o

What ever one wants to call it, it's beautiful. There is an endless supply of these hybrids, obviously extremely popular. Kawamorto lists 500 odd items on eBay, much of it like this. My daughters cannot get enough of them along with hybrid Phaelies

This is a NOID I inherited.

Nick

o

One more.

Nick

o

Nick what's that last one?

o

Wow! What a treat. More, more.....
Lovely addition for my slide collection.
Thank you. Nice, clear, photos too.

o

The last photo is a NOID. I inherited about 25 Catt hybrids from someone who only had a number on his tags. His kids never found the log to go with it. He had good taste, most of the plants are keepers but unfortunately have no name. .This one has a frilly lip and nice fragrance so probably has digbyana in it.

Nick

o

They are all so beautiful.

Allymarie

o

Beautiful flowers, makes me soooo happy! Just something about orchids that make all the cares of the world disappear :-))

Trick or Treat is always a favorite. Nothing can beat that color.

Shaved, love that floofy slc Valentine todd. Beautiful color and so soft.

Jane

o

Okay, I'll join the Club. Have a few bloomers.

First off the beautiful Margaret Hort (thank you Nick)
 photo 1773d89d-4f8e-4c58-abba-a24a840d3795_zpsf113aa4e.jpg

Lc Puppy Love
 photo LcPuppyLove_zps371217b9.jpg

C. Gaskellina
This is a orchid I've had for many years. It faithfully bloomed every Mothers Day. For some reason, it send out a bloom a month early. It has another still in sheath. Maybe the second one will bloom when it should. I always look forward to these big, floofy blooms.
 photo CGaskellina_zps8651971b.jpg

Jane

o

I concur Jane, beautiful flowers expecially orchids also make me extremely happy.I can look at them for hours without getting bored. These floofs are so gorgeous I actually ordered Lc Trick or Treat after seeing Nick's.

o

Here is a real floofer, fit's Arthur's definition perfectly. Blc White Eagle, 'King Eagle'. Beautiful for a few days with 7" flowers but before I could get the camera out of the bag it floofed in the intense heat we are having. A few 90F plus days. Can't blame it, I should have taken it into the cool house.

Nick

o

Jane I'm glad your Margaret's buds survived the coast to coast move. I'm always worried that an emergency would force my plane down in one of the fly-over states. Since I don't pack I'd feel very vulnerable in Texas or Arizona for example. I guess a little bit of the 'Wild West' survives in Florida too. Stand your ground, Jane, don't let any one push you around.

Here is another no-name inheritance.

Nick

o

Here is the mother of all of the Margarets I have sent out over the years. It's in 5 pots, the pot in a pot concept. No media. Anyone else want a piece take a number.

Nick

o

So pretty, thanks Nick. My Egret is not doing well. Not sure what happened but its head fell off. Now its just the tuber. Whats the chance it will sprout again?

Jane

o

I have 4 tubers in pots, none have sprouted. One plant is still upright and has a new growth. Very mixed bag of tricks. Don't know the answer to your question.

Nick

o

Pot Blazing Gold 'Hot Flash'. Bright, showy yellow in a small flower. 1st bloom.

Nick

o

Blc Naguchi x C digbyana a very in-your-face big cross. There is some fragrance.

Nick

o

Another view.

Nick

o

9 more big fat buds are maturing.

Nick

o

The digbyana influence is so pronounced. I have never seen a hybrid of digbyana without the frilly lip.

Nick

o

After that major floof, Blc Haleahi 0025 x C deckeri seems like an after thought. Nice medium sized multiple flowers.

Nick

o

Another view.

Nick

o

I love floof - any type, any color. Love the Digs with their fuzzy lips. Soooo sweet!

Nick, you could do Proms!

Jane

o

Not really 'Floof' but so fragrant and pretty. It smells like orange crush candy, (remember that powder stuff).

This was a Home Depot orchid in a bag. I was desperate when we first moved down here.

Epilaeliocattleya Golden Sunburst
Epilaeliocattleya Golden sunburst photo 1719c457-c318-457f-ae3e-f759bbd375d4_zps4be95075.jpg

Jane

o

I'm a sucker for strong rich yellow. Will buy it on sight at orchid shows. It has to be a deep rich yellow. Yours seems to qualify.

Nick

o

I'm also a sucker for clean pure whites. This is another one of my inherited NOIDs.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

It comes on as long stalk. If anyone knows what it might be I'd appreciate it.

nick

o

The fragrance part will get me every time, but the yellows I'm just starting to mellow to, not my fave. colour.

o

Inga, I just think 'Daffodils.' Its springtime in Florida and not a daffodil in sight.

Jane

o

Blc Naguchi x C digbyana has most of them open now. Wonderful fragrance.

Nick

o

what are they growing on y are they so big

o

They are growing in the Pot In a Pot technique. A total of 5 increasingly larger pots, all emty exept the first one. Can't remember whats in the first one, not really important at this point

Nick

o

Is it hanging on a pole?

Jane

o

It may be in a pot but it's on a wire hanger and hanging just like any mounted plant. Most of the plant is outside the pot, it should have gotten a pot twice the size of the one it's in but I'm just going to let it ramble all over the place and make a plant ball.

Nick

o

Hi Nick:
About the pretty white and pale yellow blossom above:
Could it be Laeliocattleya Clayton Waglay var. alba
from SB Orchids? This one has been on my wish-list, so caught my eye immediately
It's a beauty Congratulations on the good show....and description says extra hardy- sigh
Maryanne in WMass

Here is a link that might be useful: LCClayton Wagley var Alba

o

Looks like it.

Nick

o

Now they are truly all open

Nick

o

Even though it's officially in a pot, not only does the pot have hangers, the plant has left that pot some time ago More than 1/2 is outside I don't have any plans to put it into a larger container just will let it do it's thing.

Nick

o

Sorry for the glare on that second to last picture. If I take pictures in the evening the camera seems to think it's necessary to enhance things. The flowers are not that neon-bright. The camera has 100 different settings but I'm not going to change anything, just live with what I have. On the last picture, the flower next to the roots is what they look like.

Nick

o

Nick, that is beautiful. You know how I love floof and that plant has it all. I asked because I'm trying to figure out how you grow so many plants in 'your space?' I have limited space and am not handy at all. I am literally running out of space and was thinking of hanging some, but on what?? My screen patio has metal posts which hold up the screen roof. I'm wondering if I could drill holes and hang plants. Who knows!

I'd like to see how you arrange your plants. I'm sure others would like to see how you fit so many plants in your space. It might help us smaller growers who are truly space handicapped.

Jane

o

I will take some pictures.

One thing I find very useful is chicken wire. I cover every vertical surface with 4' wide chicken wire. Extremely useful to hag anything on it. The other thing is when I build a structure, right of the bat before I have any idea what is going where, I will place 2" nails every 6" on every wooden board. Some never get used but they are sure helpful when you want to hang something. No need for a ladder as they are everywhere, ready for duty.

Nick

o

Post some pictures. I tried drilling holes in the metal posts on my screen patio and I couldn't get the drill to make a hole. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. My husband is worse than me. I need to take a course somewhere.

I like the idea of chicken wire. Wonder how it would look.

Here's a shot of part of the patio. This was taken 2 years ago. Now there are so many plants you can hardly get to the doors. You can see all the white, metal posts I was trying to drill holes in. There are screens between the posts. Wonder how chicken wire would look. Who cares!

o

Nice patio, I can see your problem as there is nothing to hang things from. There are drill bits specifically made for drilling into metal. They wear out and you need to replace them but you need to string wires to hang things from. I've been totally busy this weekend and will be tomorrow but I'll have some suggestions with photos after Tuesday.

Nick

o

Home Depot gives hands on 'How to' courses.

Nick

o

U-Tube has alot of how to videos. My daughter installed her dishwasher by looking at at a how to video on U-Tube and it's working just fine.Just a suggestion.

Allymarie

o

Great idea. I thought of Home Depot but didn't see anything about drill bits. I'll probably destroy the whole thing trying. I keep telling my husband we really need a greenhouse instead of a patio anyway.

I'll look around on UTube.

Thanks,
Jane

o

I'll show you what I do. Every greenhouse is different, usually home made full of Ruber Goldbeg stuff. Notice that every wooden surface has a little nail every 8" or so. Wires cross the ceiling and they are crimped every foot or so. This prevents the plants from sliding all over the place.

Nick

o

When hanging stuff, it becomes of vital importance how much light you are blocking. Every basket or large plant casts a shadow, I try to keep them well spaced unless there are no plants underneath. In the area of the patio where there is a table for carbon based humanoid life forms and a walkway, the hanging plants are shoulder to shoulder. It's OK for them to block most of the light there.

Nick

o

Every wall has both outside and inside covered with 4' wide chicken wire. This is the Bulbo section, these are all Bulbos waiting to get large enough to graduate into a shallow pot.

Nick

o

A useful tool to help with the handling of this is a hook used to hang stuff up high at swap meets.

Nick

o

Having wood makes all the difference. So easy to hammer some nails in. The chicken wire is perfect. Do you leave the plastic liner down all year? You must have good ventilation?

I'm wondering how a wood structure would hold up in Florida? I seriously thinking of doing some sort of larger enclosure which would make my life, and my husbands, easier!

Thanks for the education!

Jane

o

Cattleya warneri 'alba' a warm grower from BRAZIL! Wonderful fragrance crystalline white.

Nick

o

A little closer.

Nick

o

One flower. You can smell this one 6' away.

Nick

o

I leave the plastic, or some PVC clear roof panels (HD) up all year. There are some major vents but I need to enclose it in the winter for heat and during a hot spell, like right now, (forecast is for 101F tomorrow), the swamp cooler and the home made mist cooler produce cool, moist air which I prefer to trap. Full ventilation would be OK with 100F but out here it is bone dry with humidity way down. I prefer the artificial moisture even though it costs electricity. On super hot days I try to be home and hose everything off a couple of times a day.

Nick

o

Tue, May 13, 14 at 19:50

Here is some modern breeding, the aim being to capture the lovely purple markings.
Cattleya Magic Melody
Cattleya Magic Melody
And here is an original "Floofy" Cattleya. My pride and joy from H&R in Hawaii. Heaven forbid that continued line breeding will result in round,filled in flowers.
Cattleya maxima
Cattleya maxima

o

Both are beautiful, I would not kick either one out of my GH.

Nick

o

It's purpurata time. This is Laelia purpurata carnea. # are open 5 more to come. Hard not to love the purpuratas nor to turn down the opportunity to get more as there is quite the variation.

Nick

o

One of my favorites. That is a beauty!

Jane

o

Another L purpurata.

Nick

o

This shows how I grow them. Most are mounted, the ones in pots are usually in the 'pot in a pot, in a pot' technique. You can see 3 pots in this picture. The rocks stabilize the pot and keep the smaller pots against the back wall. This way I can grow it under the mounties which get watered almost daily. If this plant were in a pot full of bark and got watered daily it would be dead in 3 month. Growing it like this it is impervious to overwatering. Even though there are rocks in the pot, the whole thing can be lifted by a cane as the roots tie everything together. It will never be removed, if it gets much bigger I just drop it in the next larger pot size. Love this technique because you don't have to worry about deteriorating bark and repotting. It's an effortless way to grow them if you have the time and inclination to water often. If you grow mounted plants you have to water often anyway so this is no bother.

Nick

o

The other thing you can do with a thing like this is to allow it to grow over the edge. When you have 3 pbulbs hanging over the edge, cut them off and put them in the empty back portion of the pot. Eventually you'll end up with a full pot with new blooming leads emerging in all directions.

Nick

o

Nick said, "The rocks stabilize the pot and keep the smaller pots against the back wall... When you have 3 pbulbs hanging over the edge, cut them off and put them in the empty back portion of the pot."

I've noticed that you often refer to the front and back of a pot. Is the back where the plant is or isn't?

Thanks!
Carol

o

Sun, May 25, 14 at 13:25

Here is an almost floof. Been around for a while. Not a great photo.
Blc. Memoria Helen Brown 'Sweet Afton'
Blc. Memoria Helen Brown 'Sweet Afton'

o

Love that contrast of green and red.

o

The front to me is the direction the plant is growing. I try to leave open room in that area and squash the non-growing portion to the 'back'..

Nick

o

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

Carol

o

Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 20:55

Not many to go to 100 posts.
Here are a few non Floofies.

Brassavola cucullata grown on a mount
Brassavola cucullata
Encyclia tampensis
Encyclia tampensis 'No.1'
Enc.(Bees' Knees x tampensis var. alba 'Mendenhall') An unregistered hybrid. Unkillable! Handed 40 out to society members for a growing comp. Most survived.
Enc.(Bees' Knees x tampensis var. alba 'Mendenhall') 'RM'
Another pic.
Enc.(Bees' Knees x tampensis var. alba 'Mendenhall') 'RM'

o

Love that Brassavola!

Jane

o

Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 3:11

Jane, B. cucullata should be easy to grow in Florida, just needs B. nodosa conditions.
Wonder if it is readily available over there, when I saw it on a list I didn't hesitate, though I took a punt on the conditions needed.

o

I haven't seen it. I have a bunch of nodosas growing which do very well here. Is cucullata fragrant?

Jane

o

Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 22:11

The perfume is described on Jays species site as "that smells somewhat skunky at night" not something that you will find in a perfume add.
Never sniffed it because it is high up in a glasshouse, doesn't leave a lingering perfume at dawn like nodosa does and is a delight when you open the glass-house door in the early morning.

o

Laelia purpurata 'venosa' x self. Another nice purpurata.

Nick

o

5 open at this time, many more coming.

Nick

o

Most are open, sort of all over the place, difficult to stake.

Nick

o

So very lovey.

o

L purpurata sanguina 'Wild Thing' HCC/AOS x L purp Midnight Sky HCC/AOS, the darkest red I have.

Nick

o

Another view.

Nick

o

And yet another 'Purp'. Have no name for it other than L purpurata.

Nick

o

Another view.

Nick

o

Love the intense colour.of the L purpurata sanguina 'Wild Thing'
the L purpurata. is not too "shabby" either.

o

One of my Brassovola nodosum.

Nick

o

Close up of a couple of flowers.

Nick

o

Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 21:58

A superb non floof. A great way to almost end this thread.

o

Good news! Thread lengths are now up to 150 posts or more.

o

Recc Monument Valley. A SBOE $7.50 special from several years ago. They still have it but now want $50 for it. A large plant with a tall spike.

Nick

o

Lovely flower, but inflation is horrendous.

o

Lovely!

Allymarie

o

Blc Bopper Queen, had 2 flowers but clumsy me knocked on off.A little similar to Rustic spot but slightly larger.

Nick

o

Nice, looks large.

o

Bc Little Marmaid 'Janet'. The Cattleyas seem to be waking up again after a rest. Nice flower, good size.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Lovely bloom. Looks huge from the side view.

o

Unknown, tag reads #40 which surely means something in a long lost list.

Nick

o

Side view of #40.

Nick

o

Another one from the same source. This one does not even have a number -- same difference. Looks like a L superbien I have,

Nick

o

One flower.

Nick

o

(L tenebrosa x C batalii).

o

Blc Mac Lambert, nice strong colors.

Nick

o

Side view.

Nick

o

Love these latest additions( noid or not.)

o

Lctna Renate S&W. This is a real Oldie but goodie, I must have gotten this plant 12 years ago. Grows outside.

Nick

o

Numerous flowers per spike, many spikes on an overgrown plant. I seldom get to enjoy that one as my daughters know it well and kidnap it as soon as it starts to bloom.

Nick

o

Nick, your daughter has good taste...

o

Lc Wrigley, an oldie but goodie. This is an Ebola survivor. I usually make a division as soon as possible in order to have 2 plants in case something happens to one of them. I did that with this plant 10 odd years ago. The big plant got virused, had to be discarded and what you see here is the result of the rescue effort.

Nick

o

The entire plant. Has a couple more unopened spikes.

Nick

o

Nice "little" beauty. Glad you rescued it.

o

Quite lovely!

Allymarie

o

Cattleya Angel Bells 'Suzie'. One of the 'Bell' hybrids that were made 30 years ago. Fantastic white flowers with a strong fragrance. There is a posting earlier of 'Bob Betts' which comes from the same lineage. You seldom see them offered for sale but I'll buy any 'Bell' hybrid I run across. C Bow Bells was one of my first Cattleyas in 1976.

Nick

o

Adorable

o

Blc Terri Henderson 'Paul'. Strong color, good shape and very strong fragrance. One of my favorites.

Nick

o

Another view.

Nick

o

Yellow is not my fave colour, but the word "fragrance" will get me , every time.
Lovely, bright, blooms .

o

Blc Shingfong Gold Gem 'Golden Jewel', a Kawamoto hybrid, probably the most intense yellow I have. 3rd year blooming, the first time on more than one stalk.

Nick

o

Another view.

Nick

o

The entire plant.

Nick

o

Blc Lady's Favorite 'Morning Mist', a Carmela Orchid plant. 1st bloom, similar to the Blc Angel Bells shown above but a little smaller and less fragrant. The Angel Bell is intensely fragrant. Has good shape.

Nick

o

Another view.

Nick

o

Just had to add this oldie, a great bloomer huge flower and the fragrance is out of this world wonderful.

Cat. Goldenzella Lemon Chiffon

o

Beautiful! One of my favorites.

Jane

o

Also one of my favorites. Someone in my society trade me a blooming size division last year, I'm waiting.

Nick

o

Bl Gingy-4 (B nodosa x L milleri). L milleri is a frustrating rupiculous Laelia, I have killed every one I every tried. B nodosa we all know as an easy to get along with sweetie. Here is a cross between the beauty and the beast and it worked out real good. The flower looks like the beautiful L milleri but the plant is easy to grow and has the growth pattern of the B nodosa.

Nick

o

Another view.

Nick

o

Here is a picture of the leaves and rhizome. Does not at all resemble the milleri but looks just like a typical B nodosa. We then have the flower of the milleri with the growth habit of the nodosa, I'd say a good combination.

Nick

o

Second bloom this year and everyone said it wouldn't grow here. Not that I'm a great grower I just think it likes where I have it and I think that is one of the important issues to growing orchids.

Chiloschista segawai Ghost Orchid

o

A new cross I found from Palmers this Jan.(at least that's what I was told) at our show and it has turned out to be beautiful.

Cat. Lc. Koolau seagulls VQ & Blc. Suncoast Spots

o

Beautiful! I love that Ghost. It is supposed to be hard to grow. Maybe I'll have to give it a try.

Great growing!!

Jane

o

Large flower, slight fragrance. It had just rained

Cat. L. purpurata 'labio grande' x L. purpurata 'fresa'

o

Too many, lovely blooms, to comment on, but they are all beautiful.

o

Another of my rescued NOIDs.

Nick

o

The inflorescence with 6 flowers.

Nick

o

6 open, 8 to go. By the time they are open 'The Floof Club' will be history as we are approaching 150.

Nick

o

C Margaret Hort is at it again. One of the truly all white Catts, like it very much.

Nick

o

One flower, a study in white.

Nick

o

Blc Marcella Koss 'Pink Marvel'. An oldie but goodie.

Nick

o

The inflo. And with that 'The Floof Club' rides into the sunset. I looked them all over, some nice flowers seen here. Since there are about 500,000 catt alliance hybrids I think we must start a sequel. We probably just scratched the surface.

Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here