Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

The Floof Club.

orchidnick
9 years ago

I was reading 'Harry Potter' book #6 to my grandson and ran across the 'Slug Club', a gathering formed by Professor Slughorn. At that time I got the idea of forming a 'Floof Club', one post where everyone can dump their floofs. Let's see how long it takes to reach 100. I'm not a species snob and I'm also not a hybrid snob, so I'll post my species Catts in here too.

Will get the ball rolling with Lc Trick ot Treat, a wonderful hybrid as old as Methusalem. I remember buying that 18 years ago when I first got infected with the orchid virus, somewhat like being bitten by a Werewolf since I'm in the Harry Potter mode.

Nick

Comments (150)

• inga007
    9 years ago

Lovely flower, but inflation is horrendous.

• allymarie
    9 years ago

Lovely!

Allymarie

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Blc Bopper Queen, had 2 flowers but clumsy me knocked on off.A little similar to Rustic spot but slightly larger.

Nick

• inga007
    9 years ago

Nice, looks large.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bc Little Marmaid 'Janet'. The Cattleyas seem to be waking up again after a rest. Nice flower, good size.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Side view.

Nick

• inga007
    9 years ago

Lovely bloom. Looks huge from the side view.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unknown, tag reads #40 which surely means something in a long lost list.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Side view of #40.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another one from the same source. This one does not even have a number -- same difference. Looks like a L superbien I have,

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One flower.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

(L tenebrosa x C batalii).

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Blc Mac Lambert, nice strong colors.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Side view.

Nick

• inga007
    9 years ago

Love these latest additions( noid or not.)

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lctna Renate S&W. This is a real Oldie but goodie, I must have gotten this plant 12 years ago. Grows outside.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Numerous flowers per spike, many spikes on an overgrown plant. I seldom get to enjoy that one as my daughters know it well and kidnap it as soon as it starts to bloom.

Nick

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

Nick, your daughter has good taste...

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lc Wrigley, an oldie but goodie. This is an Ebola survivor. I usually make a division as soon as possible in order to have 2 plants in case something happens to one of them. I did that with this plant 10 odd years ago. The big plant got virused, had to be discarded and what you see here is the result of the rescue effort.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The entire plant. Has a couple more unopened spikes.

Nick

• inga007
    9 years ago

Nice "little" beauty. Glad you rescued it.

• allymarie
    9 years ago

Quite lovely!

Allymarie

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cattleya Angel Bells 'Suzie'. One of the 'Bell' hybrids that were made 30 years ago. Fantastic white flowers with a strong fragrance. There is a posting earlier of 'Bob Betts' which comes from the same lineage. You seldom see them offered for sale but I'll buy any 'Bell' hybrid I run across. C Bow Bells was one of my first Cattleyas in 1976.

Nick

• inga007
    9 years ago

Adorable

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Blc Terri Henderson 'Paul'. Strong color, good shape and very strong fragrance. One of my favorites.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view.

Nick

• inga007
    9 years ago

Yellow is not my fave colour, but the word "fragrance" will get me , every time.
    Lovely, bright, blooms .

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Blc Shingfong Gold Gem 'Golden Jewel', a Kawamoto hybrid, probably the most intense yellow I have. 3rd year blooming, the first time on more than one stalk.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The entire plant.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Blc Lady's Favorite 'Morning Mist', a Carmela Orchid plant. 1st bloom, similar to the Blc Angel Bells shown above but a little smaller and less fragrant. The Angel Bell is intensely fragrant. Has good shape.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view.

Nick

• Grandy4
    9 years ago

Just had to add this oldie, a great bloomer huge flower and the fragrance is out of this world wonderful.

Cat. Goldenzella Lemon Chiffon

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Beautiful! One of my favorites.

Jane

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also one of my favorites. Someone in my society trade me a blooming size division last year, I'm waiting.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bl Gingy-4 (B nodosa x L milleri). L milleri is a frustrating rupiculous Laelia, I have killed every one I every tried. B nodosa we all know as an easy to get along with sweetie. Here is a cross between the beauty and the beast and it worked out real good. The flower looks like the beautiful L milleri but the plant is easy to grow and has the growth pattern of the B nodosa.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of the leaves and rhizome. Does not at all resemble the milleri but looks just like a typical B nodosa. We then have the flower of the milleri with the growth habit of the nodosa, I'd say a good combination.

Nick

• Grandy4
    9 years ago

Second bloom this year and everyone said it wouldn't grow here. Not that I'm a great grower I just think it likes where I have it and I think that is one of the important issues to growing orchids.

Chiloschista segawai Ghost Orchid

• Grandy4
    9 years ago

A new cross I found from Palmers this Jan.(at least that's what I was told) at our show and it has turned out to be beautiful.

Cat. Lc. Koolau seagulls VQ & Blc. Suncoast Spots

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I love that Ghost. It is supposed to be hard to grow. Maybe I'll have to give it a try.

Great growing!!

Jane

• Grandy4
    9 years ago

Large flower, slight fragrance. It had just rained

Cat. L. purpurata 'labio grande' x L. purpurata 'fresa'

• inga007
    9 years ago

Too many, lovely blooms, to comment on, but they are all beautiful.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another of my rescued NOIDs.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The inflorescence with 6 flowers.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

6 open, 8 to go. By the time they are open 'The Floof Club' will be history as we are approaching 150.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

C Margaret Hort is at it again. One of the truly all white Catts, like it very much.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One flower, a study in white.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Blc Marcella Koss 'Pink Marvel'. An oldie but goodie.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The inflo. And with that 'The Floof Club' rides into the sunset. I looked them all over, some nice flowers seen here. Since there are about 500,000 catt alliance hybrids I think we must start a sequel. We probably just scratched the surface.

Nick

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner