Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How About Some Phrags

Posted by highjack z6 KY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 08 at 16:25

Phrag. Macrochillum 'Glenn's Pride' (I think this awarded but can't remember sitting here :>)

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

Phrag. Cardinale Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com This is a great phrag to grow underlights or in a window because the plant and spike are short.

Phrag. Afterglo Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com This is a branched multi florial phrag - puts on quite a show.

Phrag. Grande 'Hermanas' Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

Phrag. Chuck Acker Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

Phrag. Praying Mantis Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

Phrag. Sorcerer's Apprentice x wallisii 4N Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

Some of these have been blooming for six months and will continue as the growths reach maturity.

Brooke

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How About Some Phrags

Wow!! What is your secret? I hear phrags are fussy. I have some nice Paphs, but I've been afraid to venture into the world of Phrags.

o

I'd also like to hear any growing tips you might have to offer. I keep trying, but have not been very successful with phrags or paphs.

Sheila :)

o

Amyqofu I find phrags to be much easier than paphs! About 1/2 of my paphs are in rehab now. It is my husbands job to figure out which ones need extra calcium and magnesium. Which ones need a cool down in the winter or grown warm in the winter.

Sheila phrags do best in catt light. I grow some in s/h and some in a coir mix with their toes sitting in saucers of water. When I grew them underlights I had to tie the foliage up to be near the lights and the tall spikes had to go between the fixtures. I am finding in the g/h I am getting branches on the spikes and never did underlights. I am guessing here, but suspect the increased light created the branches.

I still have new growths maturing on many of them with new spikes coming on. I may have phrag blooms year round now :>)

Brooke

o

Wonderful to see pics of a species you can't grow. I had a lindleyanum until recently but it was never really happy. I have heard they must have very pure water...

o

Brooke - how often do you water/take care of the s/h phrags? I've killed a few phrags trying to get them to go into s/h. I have one plant that is nearly dead - there is one large growth left (out of three) with a few buds. Do you water frequently? I figured that was my problem - letting 'em get dry. How about fertilizing them? (I think mine is a Phrag. eric young x with something)

And beautiful plants! Thanks for sharing!

o

Wirtlo phrags don't like to dry out. The roots are hairy and need constant moisture. If NV means Nevada, you might need to water every day. In the g/h they get watered about every three days to fill the reservoir, less in cool temps.

They do need really good water and very little fertilizer. If the water is heavy in salts, the leaf tips brown - ask me how I know :>)

I have an Eric Young x Sorcerer's Apprentice cross and I think it is either Afterglo or Chuck Acker. I can't remember sitting here and it is grown in s/h and is thriving. Some I've had to move back to the coir mix.

You can always move the plant out of s/h and sit it in a saucer of water. Flushing the containers once a week is also important to eliminate salt build up.

Brooke

o

Thank you much Brooke - I DEFINITELY have been leaving them too dry (and too much fertilizer when they do get water). And yup - Nevada! In my window room I put some passion vines and a hydroponic tomato to get some evapotranspiration going which works pretty good - but it still stays pretty dry here.

o

Good luck wirtlo, I hope your phrag comes around. They are some of my easier orchids once I figured out which ones love s/h and which ones didn't.

My Phrag. Jason Fischer is in the cutest little 2" pot of sphag making a come back from his near death experience when I put him in s/h. I do have roots on him now :>)

Brooke

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here