Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Dendrobium draconis

xmpraedicta
15 years ago

No credit to me for the blooms...I've been trying to find one of these for a while, so I was pretty happy about seeing one at the TAOA show this weekend - the guy selling them (Jan Smid, from JS Orchids) is a new vendor in the area, and specializes in south-east and south asian species. I also picked up a dendrobium delacourii from him, after seeing Kevin's photos here. Seriously, we're all so bad for each other here - it's like an enabling frenzy!

The fragrance is sublime - tangerines and cream. My mom thinks all these nigro-hirsute dendrobiums look the same, and wonders why I buy so many....

Personally I find the architecture and the red veining of this species incredibly interesting.

-Calvin

Comments (5)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

I absolutely love this! I think I've heard the name before, but I've never seen a flower. That touch of orange is so cool.
    Tangerine you say? That's unusual and my favorite fruit these days.

Kevin

• quinnfyre
    15 years ago

You know, I'm really starting to have Dend envy. I really don't think I can grow them, though. Not in my setup. My south facing windows are not as awesome as I feel south facing windows ought to be, and the shelves are full. Not to mention that I feel that a lot of neat ones get taller than my shelves can handle anyway.

Bah, why can't I have a greenhouse? I actually lived in a house in Chicago when I was a kid that had an indoor greenhouse. Then we moved, and the people who bought our house from us tore down the greenhouse to replace it with something stupid. AND made all the shrubs and trees into geometric shapes. Bah again.

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I bought a small seedling years ago, but it didn't survive.

Carol

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for lookin :) The smell is really great, and I've recently discovered that the related dend cariniferum (whcih I have yet to bloom) also has a tangerine smell - it's much more 'creamy' than real citrus though.

Q - this one stays relatively small (I think)...and there are tons of cute little dends you can try. In fact, apparently there are some lower light dends that might do well under lights. Dend tobaense and it's hybrid peng seng are really cool and stay around 8". Sorry to hear about the greenhouse - we'll be selling a house this spring, along with a garden I've labored over for 3 years planting native plants and cool wild flowers. It sucks!

Carol - I'm holding my breath with this one - it's dormant so I'm hoping the warm weather will help it start a new cane, since it's currently bare-root.

• treehaus
    15 years ago

Beautiful and very nicely grown, Calvin!