Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
C. walkeriana coerulea & C. luteola

Posted by cyanea z11 HI (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 08 at 18:28

Photobucket
Cattleya walkeriana var. coerulea. I just removed this one from it's 4" pot and tied it to the tree fern chunk last month.

Photobucket
Cattleya luteola.

These two were my first species catts to bloom. This year they are blooming together. Nothing really spectacular, but both are very beautiful nonetheless.

Mahalo for viewing,
Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: C. walkeriana coerulea & C. luteola

Both are beautiful!
Olya

o

Lovely orchids!

o

2 beauties!~Charm

o

I think they are both lovely. I'm hoping my luteola will have buds in its sheath soon. It bloomed in May last year. Such a little cutie.

Marci

o

The luteola is really a lovely little thing. I love the orange and yellow inside the lip. Charming.

o

They are very beautiful!

Just went to check my C. luteola with its 3 buds (first blooms), and then discovered another spike with even larger blooms!

Carol

o

Are you sure that is C. luteola? It is almost certainly a luteola hybrid (possibly with C. forbesii?), but the lip is ALL wrong fro luteola. THe lip margin of luteola is entire, with a thin white picotee, in some clones. Yours has very prominant sidelobes and a spade lip. I'm posting a link to a pic of a typical luteola. Do you have a picture of the plant? C. luteola has a splayed growth habit and small (7-9") growths with one leaf each and the pseudobulbs are club-shaped and laterally compressed.

-Cj

Here is a link that might be useful: Cattleya luteola from ruthsorchids.com

o

Oops-meant to say the other spike has buds, not blooms! Ofc is right, I think. Here's a link from A.A. Chadwick, a well-respected Catt. expert:

http://www.chadwickorchids.com/Cattleya/luteola.htm

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here