Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Current & recent bloomers

Posted by tucker_sp Z4 MN (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 22:31

Greetings, fellow orchid lovers -
I have not been able, because of the old "circumstances beyond my control" to spend as much time on Gardenweb or, indeed, with my plants as I would like lately. Still, I have some things blooming that might interest you. The first three are growing with the philodendron, etc., in the kitchen window, and are shown below:

First, Dendrobium sulcatum:

Den. sulcatum

Second, Lycaste cochleata:

Lycaste cochleata

And third, Dendrobium bellatulum - one of the truly ugly orchid plants - the pseudobulbs look like they were regurgitated by an owl - but the flowers are beautiful:

Den. bellatulum

Nice to come in for breakfast and see them in the morning light. The next two are of Oncidium auriferum. There's nothing really exceptional about it - large numbers (about 80) of small, bright yellow, nicely fragrant flowers. The thing is that I've never seen an actual picture of it anywhere.

Whole inflorescence:

Oncidium auriferum

Closeup (difficult because the flowers are packed so closely together):

O. auriferum closeup

Dendrobium rhodostictum - these flowers opened in late October, so they won't last much longer:

Photobucket

Next, one of my two monster Phaius tancarvilleae (sp.?) plants in front of the living room fireplace. Too many pictures & tchotchkes on the mantel for a good picture:

Phaius tancarvilleae

Phaius closeup:

Photobucket

Finally, Oerstedella calageria - the flowers are no bigger than 1 cm, but it makes up for that by producing lots of them. 1 of 3 inflorescences:

Oerstedella calageria

And a closeup:

O. calageria closeup

I hope that a few pictures of orchids not seen on this forum very often will be enjoyed - I certainly enjoy growing them and seeing them in my house.

Tucker

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Current & recent bloomers

Beautiful! Great growing is evident - I am a huge fan of those nigrohirsute dends - your bellatulum is gorgeous....and that Oerstedella is really cute! How tall does the plant get? Thanks for sharing!

o

Wonderful, Tucker. Too bad you aren't here more often to share more of your less often seen bloomers. Especially like the dends (owl regurgitation? That's a hoot! LOL) The oerstedella is very cool, too. Good growing!

Marci

o

Your Dend are way too cool! Love the Oerstedella - what a lovley shape!

o

Good growing!~Charm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here