Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Encyclia (now anacheilum) chocleata.

orchidnick
10 years ago

Intermediate grower from Florida, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Bahamas, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Leewards, Puerto Rica, Windwards, French Guiana, Surinam, Guyana, Venezuela and Colombia,otherwise everywhere in the New world. Getting started now, will bloom all summer long into the fall. Flowers are upside down otherwise normal, non-resupinate.

Nick

Comments (12)

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view of the little octopuses.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The entire plant.

Nick

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

So pretty. I love those.

Jane

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are so willing.

Nick

• arthurm
    10 years ago

Willing for some, not for others. Supposed to be easy!
    Latest version of the name is Prosthechea cochleata.

Some very good clones around with many flowers that last for ages.

• ashes_of_the_fire
    10 years ago

I have radiata but it's just a baby. I also love the little octopuses!

• inga007
    10 years ago

Your photos are getting better and better.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's the camera that does it. It is set on 'Flowers' and 'macrolens'. Nothing else to adjust. I can't focus it or change the shutter speed.

My only input is to choose the amount of light on the subject but it even adjusts for that making evening pictures brighter. I've had the thing for 2 years but never used it because I could not figure out how to transfer the photos from the camera to the computer. The other thing that slowed progress is that the camera phone is perfectly adequate for taking pictures of grand kids smearing birthday cake all over themselves on their 1st BD. It was the embarrassing out of focus photos of the orchids that finally made me take the time to try to understand the electronics. For everything else the camera phone is good enough.

One of my son is a computer whizz but lacks insight in how the human mind works. I finally got the message across to him by using my X-wife, who remaines a close friend of the family, as an example. She does not have the foggiest idea how a car works. She knows that if you turn the key and the engine goes 'Whroom Whroom', it's ready to go. If you step on one pedal it goes faster, the other one slows it down. That's almost the extent of her mechanical knowledge. She is also a human billiard ball. Her car has been totally repainted, one fender at a time!

Some of us elderly folks are like that with computers. He kept trying to teach me the electronics of the thing. If I only understood how it worked I would not need to ask questions. Finally he gave up and got it down to teach me a few simple steps that achieve the desired result

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In full bloom now. Will stay that way for a long time, making new flowers as it looses an equal number of old ones.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The number of intact flowers on a stalk is an indication of how happy the plant is. This stalk has 6 open flowers, the lowest one getting ready to fall off in the next day or so. I very seldom see 6 open flowers, usually 4 to 5. This appears to be a happy year for this plant.

nick

• inga007
    9 years ago

I'm amazed at the huge amount of blooms on your Encyclia (now anacheilum) chocleata.

My problem ( as an older person) is remembering today, what I did right on the puter yesterday. :>) Ha-ha.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

a specimen plant! I have one. Almost killed it with mite poison. It is coming back.

It is listed as a florida native among other places. And that is true. But they can not be found on any urban or rural walk. There is epidendrum tempense. A very prolific orchid that is everywhere. A 2 block walk in a neighborhood of average landscape in south florida you will see this epi. It is a nice orchid but not a standout. Like Enc. chocleata.

Florida has a lot of nice native orchids, but if you want to see them in situ, you got to work for it.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022