Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Aeranthes Grandiose

jane__ny
9 years ago

The seed parent is Aeranthes grandiflora while the pollen parent is Aeranthes ramosa. The seed parent, Aeranthes grandiflora comes from Madagascar's east/southeast coastal rain forests from sea level to about 4,000 feet (1,200m) in the central plateau. Humidity is high most of the year and rainfall is moderate to heavy. Aeranthes ramosa is the pollen parent and grows at about 4,500 feet (1,350m) above sea level in Madagascar. It also is exposed to high humidity and reliable rain throughout most of the year.

I've had this plant a long time and it is a reliable bloomer whether in NYC or So. Florida. I lost the original mother plant to crown rot years ago but it had offshoots which now flower.

Hard plant to photograph as the flower spikes are so long. Presently flowering from 2 spikes and has a third which branched and has two buds.

Usually hangs in a tree but I couldn't get a picture of it. The flowers remind me of 'ghosts' as they appear so far from the plant and the spikes are so thin. Makes the flowers appear to be floating.

Cool orchid.

Jane

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists