Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cattleyopsis cubensis

Posted by calvin_orchidlover 6a Toronto (My Page) on
Sun, May 17, 09 at 0:12

Here's a funny little orchid - Jay's site says this Cuban orchid is "very rare and endangered". It's pretty cute and the leaves are finely serrated which is the first I've ever seen in an orchid. I'm not sure how I feel about the flowers - they don't open fully and aren't very remarkable.

And a close up of the flower:

CJ - are you still looking for pollen for this one?

Oh and this guy is flowering *again* and it looks like another sheath is on it's way. Dend Peng Seng (tobaense x cruentum) is quickly becoming one of my favorites

-Calvin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cattleyopsis cubensis

I like the cattleyopsis- way too cool!! Never seen before

o

Actually, I rather like it. But then again, I seem to have a thing for clusters of little flowers. I suppose it's part of the reason I don't grow the floofy catts. (The other being the certainty I don't have enough light.) One of my favs is Pleurothallis alata, and the flowers on that one are smaller than a housefly. Being almost constantly in bloom doesn't hurt either : )

I think I'm really going to have to get myself one of those Dends. That green and orange combo is really eyecatching. Is it a compact grower? Does it prefer being in your tank, or can it be grown in your avg room? And lastly, does it need lots of light to bloom?

o

Thanks guys! Q - I am a HUGE fan of the orange+green for sure. It is a very compact grower (canes reach about 8-10" tall max). I do have it in my tank, but the humidity in there isn't very high. Light is quite high, but I am curious whether it can do with lower light, as I have successfully burned one of this hybrid's parents (dend tobaense) when I made the assumption that it could handle the same amount of light as it's hybrid child, although there's a chance that it was grown in less bright conditions previously and wasn't given a chance to adapt.

o

Calvin, thanks for the pollen offer. My plant doesn't bloom until mid-winter and I am not sure it will last until then.

Nicely grown!

o

Okay no worries - I can store some at 4C if you're interested, just let me know :)

I've changed my mind about this plant - all it's flowers are now open and it smells amazing! Very similar to hyacinths. I'm going to shoot Jay an e-mail, because IOSPE lists this one as being fragrance-less.

o

A beauty!~Charm

o

That is absolutely adorable! I must look for this plant. I need it.

Kevin

o

Thanks for posting this Calvin! I have one also and it's throwing multiple spikes! Can't wait! One of my Ab Fav!

o

Wish I had seen this one while in Cuba! It's a gorgeous little gem.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here