Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More from Orchidnick.

Posted by jane__ny 9-10 (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 0:12

Photos posted by orchidnick z9Ca

Leptotes bicolor. Just posted this to show you that I can grow ordinary stuff also. They come Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay, I grow it outside with no special care.
 photo Leptotesbicolor_zps947ac0e1.jpg

Cypripedium kentuckiense- one of the larger ones, the pouch is the size of a small chicken egg. It has the largest pouch of the plants in this genus. one or two hybrids get bigger. C. kentuckiense is found in a large swathe through the central portion of the United States including Texas, Mississippi, Kentucky, Ohio, Missouri, Arkansans, Oklahoma, Lousiana and Tennessee. Second year bloom for this plant, full adults can reach 70 cm in height. A stately plant.
Cypripedium kentuckiense photo Cypripediumkentuckiense1_zpsd5e0dc49.jpg

photo Group_zpsb9f977c9.jpg

Cypripedium Baerbel Schmidt (macranthos x montanum)

one of the smaller Cyps, the flower is about 1" x 1".
 photo CypripediumBaerbelSchmidtmacranthosxmontanum1_zps20428902.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More from Orchidnick.

I see nothing "ordinary" in Leptotes bicolor.
Don't think I have "met one" with so many blooms, in all the shows I have been to.

The Cypripedium kentuckiense-is stunning and surprising large.
but I love the
CypripediumBaerbelSchmidtmacranthosxmontanum.

o

By 'ordinary' I meant that it is commonly seen amongst society members and at all of the orchid shows. I also requires no special care growing happily with the Cattleyas and Cymbidiums in the backyard. I normal focus on unusual stuff, hence the comment. No slight intented.

It is a very worthwhile plant and I am expecting great things from it in the future. They enlarge exponentially, I saw one in San Diego which is probably twice as big. Even if it only grows by 25% every year, it should get much larger very soon. I have had it for probably 10 years.

A slight mistake on Cyp kentuckiense. It supposedly has the largest 'flower' in the genus, not the largest pouch. Probably one and the same thing. Even 70 cm tall plants will only have one flower, another great one is Cyp californicum which can sport up to 12 flowers per large stem. The flowers are much smaller.

Last year was it's first bloom, the flowers were much smaller and not as deeply colored, so disappointing in fact that I questioned the grower whether it really was kentuckiense, he advised patience and I guess he knew what he was talking about.

Nick

o

Wow, very nice, Nick
As I had suspected from your various (text) posts over the years.
thanks for sharing,
Cheers~
Maryanne in WMass

o

WMass! I'm stunned, I thought you'd be from Holister, California, the self described garlic capitol of the world.

This is fun, I'll have to figure out how to post pictures.

Nick

o

Actually make that Gilroy, California, Holister is right next door and I get the 2 confused.

Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here