Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birding_nut

Angraecum magdalenae

birding_nut
13 years ago

I received an Angraecum magdalenae from a fellow orchid society member last fall as she had no luck blooming it. I placed it on a west windowsill behind venetian blinds and reduced watering during winter to once every 2 weeks. The cool winter temps on the window and bright light with reduced watering rewarded me with a single, beautiful bloom! I have had bad luck blooming Angraecum in the past, usually getting bud blast on Angraecum leonis, germinyanum, etc. I was delighted this one bloomed and the fragrance is absolutely stunning. So strong and powerful from one bloom. It is very, very strong of clove, nutmeg and cinnamon undertones but sweet at the same time. It smells reminiscent of Brassavola nodosa, but not as deeply musk. What a fantastic flower this is! Now I know why they call this the queen of the Angraecums. The flower is also very heavy and waxy, much like A. sesquipedale.

Here are some pics of the flower up close and the entire plant. From the tag, you can see this is line bred, and the flower has good form with very little reflexing of the sepals/petals.

BN

Comments (5)