Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring Bunch o' Catts

Posted by knick-knack Z6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 08 at 7:37

Spring 2008 group picture of my blooming catts. Plant ID starts from the red catt, clockwise.

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

-Harvey

Spring2008GroupPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring Bunch o' Catts

Yummy!!

o

Stunning display!~Charm

o

If you ever divide that trianae, let me know if you wanna trade something. I love that deep pink colour.

-Cj

o

Such a beautiful collection of my favourite kind of orchid, and such an artistic arrangement! This mother and grandmother thanks you for your wishes.
Judy

o

Fantastic orchids and the display!
Olya

o

Beautiful arrangement and flowers!

o

Just lovely, all the plants are so colorful together, great growing!!! Tricia

o

• Posted by jank US10 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 8, 08 at 21:06

How'd you do that???
What a great shot, with all those fabulous flowers in perfect focus!!!
Thanks for sharing,
Jan

o

I appreciate all your feedback. I'd like to thank the GW Orchid forum gurus since some of the culture practices I'm doing are from their inputs --- mainly H on light quality :)

CJM, please check your e-mail when you get the chance.

Jan, I did it with a poor man's setup: an entry-level DSLR (RebelXT), a photo editing software and light coming from my grow area. Here are the details: I set up the catts on my coffee table near my grow area to take advantage of the light being emitted and I set up a black background (would you believe I use an old black robe). Being self-taught on using a DSLR, I try several times by trial-and-error to find the right camera settings (speed, aperture, etc.) with the objective to get optimum quality pictures. I usually set the focus somewhere at the middle of the plants to get an even capture of the entire frame. From the batch of pictures I take, I pick the best one and load it in a photo editor. Having sparse knowledge to use the software, I only do what I consider a minor lighting correction (gamma/levels/saturation and such)and then I do a little sharpening afterwards(careful not to overdo it because the picture quality will drop due to pixelation). The point is never to stray from altering the actual coloration of the blooms since all photos I take serves as a reference to the individual flowers of my catts. In short, get the best picture possible in order for the photo editor to be effective (in my case)... If you're interested, here's some of my early work that allowed me to understand my camera further --- pictures I took during meetings/shows that are posted at the website I maintain for my local OS .

-Harvey

o

• Posted by bayard zone 6 / NJ (My Page) on
    Fri, May 9, 08 at 16:04

Beautiful display!

o

• Posted by jank US10 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 9, 08 at 21:44

Hi, Harvey,
Looks like you are in a great club...terrific plant tables. Some of those phrags at the shows (Fox Farms) blow me away with their hugeness. All the photos are great!

Enjoyed the details of how you work the photos. Trying to get up my courage to try software myself. Thanks for the info!
Jan

o

Wow! Hard to pick a favorite but I love the species.

o

Talk about eye candy! A gorgeous collection and beautiful portrait.

Marci

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here