Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dendrobium Dawn Maree

Posted by calvin_orchidlover 6a Toronto (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 08 at 9:12

A primary cross between cruentum and formosum, and my first nigrohirsute/formosae dendrobium to successfully rebloom (cheer)!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dendrobium Dawn Maree

Very pretty! Is it fragrant?

o

A very attractive flower. Congrats on the rebloom!

Marci

o

Thanks everyone :) Granniek - no fragrant I can detect yet but I'll keep sniffing :)

o

I love it. Where did you get it?

That is really pretty.

Jane

o

Jane - I got it from a local vendor at our orchid show. But I know that H&R orchids from Hawaii sells a lot of formosae type dends (I just got a couple from them myself :))

o

Lovely flower
Olya

o

Very nice.
Charles B.

o

• Posted by jank US10 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 23, 08 at 11:53

Nice!!!
Never tried a "hairy" one.
How different is the culture from non-hairy growers??
Jan

o

Hi Jan! I mainly only grow hairy ones, and I haven't had them that long so I don't have that many cultural tips, but thy seem to be pretty easy so far - I think they should be kept a little more moist during the growing season, and some benefit from a dry rest in winter.

Grannie - I detected a faint fragrance today - very refreshing and crisp.

o

Calvin, nice plant and flowers. Congrats.

I've got the Den Green Lantern (Dawn Maree x cruentum). This is one time that the species look just as lovely as the hybrid.

Den Green Lantern -

Photobucket

Whitecat8

o

WC your green lantern is absolutely stunning! WOW! The texturing on the lip from the cruentum really becomes stronger compared to Dawn Maree - How do you grow yours?

o

Calvin, thanks for the kind remarks.

As for growing, I haven't rebloomed it yet. In March, 2007, I bought it in bloom. During the summer, it was outside in E/SE light, cut 50% by the lathe house. Temps were MN summer temps, but I kept overhead rain off.

It's in medium bark w/ sphag on top to keep it from drying out too quickly. On 12/1/07, I stopped watering, resuming watering 2/2/08. Since it came inside last fall, it's been in the cooler living room, which had winter temps from 58-65F when the sun wasn't out (which was a lot); 58-75F when it was.

Very low humidity, E/SE light - double sliding glass doors, and 2 octopus lamps w/ 26W CFLs.

So far this spring, all it's done is drop a leaf and have 2 others turn brown at the tips.

How are you growing yours?

Whitecat8

o

More orange and white. Can't beat it. Very nice.

Kevin

o

WC - Mine is in bark, and I've got it in full morning sun in a south facing window right now. It's potted in bark, and I'm watering once a week (I probably should water more but I don't go home often enough) and it's showing lots of active root growth although no new growths. I'm a little apprehensive about the winter rest, so it will definitely take some experimentation. Hope yours reblooms for you! Seeing those fat white buds swell and open up with such a magnificent splash color is a real treat.

o

Calvin, thanks for sharing your conditions. I repotted mine last night, again in medium bark mix in a plastic pot that's small for the size of the plant. In the winter, the most light I can give it is E/SE w/ 26W CFLs.

For almost all the Dens that needed a winter rest, I cut off water during December and January. The Den unicum went longer because buds hadn't gotten large enough by February. Den moniliformes are on a different schedule altogether.

This was my first winter giving Dens a rest, although Cycs and Catasetae have been bone dry during earlier winters. I kept telling myself that watering the Dens would be going against nature.

If my Green Lantern doesn't bloom this year, then maybe next year. They do teach patience.

Whitecat8

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here