Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tampaart

Schomburgkia tibicinis

tampaart
15 years ago

I know the name has been changed to Myrmecophila tibicinis. It's getting a little too confusing these days.

Enjoy

Comments (10)

• picotee_sofl
    15 years ago

These are so cool, whatever they rename them. Mine is sending up two infl's after a two year hiatus.

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Tampaart, I think your orchid is Mcp. (Schom.) exaltata. I had this orchid blooming a few years ago. As you might remember, I have a Mcp. tibicinus that was identified in March, and there are some similarities, but the difference I notice first is in the beautiful magenta tinged lip.
    Schom or Mcp (who cares? ;)
    Carol

• tampaart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Carol, I remember your issue a few months ago. I can see where you may think it's an exaltata. I've been growing these orchids for the past 20 years or so. My experience has shown that most people that claim to have a tibicinis actually have grandiflora. I had "the" Paul Storm from Meke Aloha Orchids make a positive identification for me. He's been breeding schombs for the past 40 years and is considered one of the most respected Myrmecophila experts in the world.

Either way you and I will agree that it's a beautiful orchid and easy to grow. Strange this year, the bloom spikes were only three feet long as opposed to previous years being MUCH longer. Here's another image.

• sambac
    15 years ago

Beautiful, Schombs do give me a fever and send my heart racing, lol. Mine is in spike too- can almost see buds( I managed not to break the spike this year!!)Are not the exaltata's smaller than the grandiflora- these are monsters in my opinion.

• tampaart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They are good size. Congrats on not breaking the spike - I can so relate - ugh!

And now I have a big beautiful seed pod (pictures to follow) from one of the boom spikes. The other is still blooming away.

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

What a beautiful plant...I love the twisty flowers and the long spikes !!

• jerry_meola
    14 years ago

for those that do not know --- Myrmecophila means bearer of ants.

Mature plants become homes for ants in the canes which become hollow. It is a symbiotic relationship with the plant providing a home and the ants eating the parasites that would attack the flowers.

• jank
    14 years ago

Beautiful flower, whatever you call it!

Thanks, Jerry, for the ant explanation. Thought my Humboldtii x Brysiana would never bloom because someone, somewhere, said they HAD to have ants in them to bloom.
    It finally gave me two spikes this year and I wondered where the ants were :)
    Jan

• Charm
    14 years ago

Gorgeous orchid...I dislike all the name changes too...~Charm

• Sheila
    14 years ago

So beautiful! We had a couple schoms at our society meeting last night. Nice to see them 'up close'.

Sheila :)