Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Early Purple Orchid (Orchis mascula)

Posted by michoice SW England (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 08 at 11:35

It is a great pleasure when the Spring flowers arrive to brighten up our countryside. The terrestrial orchids may not be as spectacular as their tropical cousins but in profusion they do make a bold show particularly in the grassy meadows with all the other wild flowers and on roadside verges.

Orchis mascula

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Early Purple Orchid (Orchis mascula)

Nice bright colour and lovely picture!

o

So cool!!
I love temperate orchids.
Obviously, it's getting to be that time of the year.
I was just up checkin' on my natives the other day, as well.
Most aren't big enough yet, but I did find at least one new one this year.
I messed up while downloading and lost over half of my photos, so...
I'm going back up...probably in a few hours!;~)

My Cyps are developing nicely also and should have a good display this year.
If you have more natives, post 'em! :~)
Scott

o

When i've visited, i looked and looked and saw nary a one. Guess it was the wrong time of year. Are they impossible or easy to grow?

o

Beautiful flowers!
We have at least 5 species of Orchis (flowering finished by now). They are also pink/mauve. Another common wild orchid is Ophrys (Bee Orchid). Maroon/ brown. The name is an apt description of the flower. Do you have any of those in England?
Judy

o

Hello Judy, A few years ago I watched a TV programme on European terrestrial orchids and it included many beautiful varieties from your home land Israel. In England we do have a wide selection including the Bee Orchid which grows on chalk downs. I will name a few of the others because they do have such wonderful names. Violet Helleborine, Summer Ladies Tresses, Leopard Marsh orchid, Common Twayblade,Early Spider, Monkey, Lizard, Military and so on. Many of these are now raised commercially and can be grown in the garden. Peter

o

Hi, Peter
Whoever named these orchids had a lot of imagination and a sense of humour as well! You probably have a "snake tongue" too (serapias vomeracea).That was a great find on one of my recent nature rambles. From a distance it looks like a lot of dried brown stalks - only reveals its true beauty on a closer inspection.
Judy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here