Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shavedmonkey

Catt. intermedia fuchsia v. orlata 'crownfox'

This orchid was a gift from Robert Fuchs. He wanted me to know that his skills went beyond vandas. I've had it a long time. It has survived 3 hurricanes and a nasty infestation of mites a few years ago. It has battle scars. But still flowers.

Comments (14)

• allymarie
    9 years ago

I bought this orchid yesterday.The lilac petals and magenta lips caught my eye and I couldn't resist.It came with no name and the lady I purchased it from didn't have a clue.This morning I started to post an orchid id request but stopped because my tablet didn't get a good pic of its colors.I then looked on the internet and found it is Cattleya Intermedia.

You have a lovely orchid.

Allymarie

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have a lovely orchid! The tag was gone so I went for a long shot and called rf orchids. I sent a picture and got the response back quick. The name is not lost. For both of us!
    Good luck.

• allymarie
    9 years ago

The owner of the orchid nursery I purchased it from worked at RF sometime ago.Thanks for posting a pic and name of our beautiful orchid.

Allymarie

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Nice orchid!
    The name has too many varieties (fushsia v orlata).
    A problem when you cross varieties and both varieties come out in the progency as in this example.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Allymarie,
    Do you go to RF orchids? Is it very far?

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

In many orchid societies 'No-Name' orchids are shunned or treated like outcasts. I know Arthur feels very strong about proper name etiquette but unless a plant is about to receive an AOS award, when name etiquette is most important, at the 'Show and Brag Table' at most orchid societies a name makes all the difference and 100% accuracy is a little less important.

Give it that name Allymarie, civilization as we know it will not come to an end. Beautiful plant by the way.

Nick

Original Author
    9 years ago

This the name they gave me from rf and I think it is registered by them.

• allymarie
    9 years ago

I always thought all orchids had names until I started reading this forum.I like to know the names to learn more about their growing habits.If I love the flowers I get it, like the catt above .

RF is a 10 minute drive away.I was there just yesterday.It is a lovely place with gorgeous orchids but extremely pricey. Most times I go there just to get an eye full.

Allymarie

• arthurm
    9 years ago

I do not have a problem with no names. I have plenty of them.
    There is no register of names where for example 'Crownfox' is kept. 'Crownfox' is like 'Carmela' and is informally reserved.
    Most orchid nurseries are pretty good with orchid names and this one has probably got mangled in communication.
    There are 112 benching cards from the last OS meeting on this desk and a high proportion of the names are incorrect.
    The only time species names get to be registered is when the plant is awarded.
    Example Cattleya intermedia var. orlata 'Crownfox' AM/AOS (In the AOS register of awarded orchids).
    There are plenty of varieties of orlata about. Looks like is not good enough in naming orchids. If your orchid is not exactly the same as the one in post one,
    You should just write Cattleya intermedia var. orlata on the tag.
    Another clone;

This post was edited by arthurm on Thu, May 29, 14 at 21:45

• inga007
    9 years ago

I like the expression" eyefull", I call it" eyecandy"
    Lovely blooms.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you arthurm for the explanation. I'm comfortable growing orchids but not so comfy with taxonomy. So therefor I'll go with your answer. Even though the explanation appears to be good and correct, it still is hard for me to follow. I think it is because subconsciously I don't care. But consciously I know it is important...

Original Author
    9 years ago

I found the tag. Not a cross. The tag was broken in the middle of the plant. It is C. intermedia var Orlata. The name given was a guess from a picture

• Grandy4
    9 years ago

I'm with Allymarie, want a name to be able to look up and see it's needs otherwise I don't care, I grow for me and not to get awards. Yes they are nice and I've gotten some for the ones I grow but I don't have the equipment or time to spend cross breeding. I'm happy just getting and seeing the lovely blooms and sometime, I think, lucky.

BTW beautiful orchid, as usual, with all your orchids.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

"I'm with Allymarie, want a name to be able to look up and see it's needs" A bit difficult to do if the name written on the benching card or show entry form is rubbish.
    This stuff is not rocket science...
    Added a bit more. Look at the photo in the link, this beautiful orchid was imported into Australia from the USA. Read the comments below the photo.
    Nuff said, I'm just about to give up... an old old guy baled me up at an orchid show the other day and proceeded to talk about the good old days and black orchids, golden orchids and so on. Such descriptions are as useless as tits on a bull.

Here is a link that might be useful: orchid in my collection

This post was edited by arthurm on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 2:39

Sponsored
Vivancos Trim LLC
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Loudoun County's Artfully Crafted General Contractor