Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sophronitis coccinea

Posted by mondoruffo z9Latina italy (mondoruffo@hotmail.com) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 12:17

This is my sophronitis coccinea it is mounted on a piece of robinia pseudoacacia.
It has 4 seedpods ripening on it.
the previous blooming was really showy with 7 flowers blooming at the mean time I have bought it from ebay already out of bloom and fecundated.
It has 2 other flowers to come.
I have been really surprised to see the bloom on it despite the energy it was giving to the seedpods.
enjoy
Marco
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sophronitis coccinea

Striking color. Just beautiful!

Jane

o

Thank you jane thanks god the camera was able to do its job! I am not a great photografer :)

o

What a beautiful flower

o

You have it from me officially. This little devil is an absolute b***** to grow. I am on my fourth one now! It either dies or it won't flower and it's Brazilian...! Garumph! Easier is the hybrid, S. Arizona ( coccinea x brevipedunculata) which looks like coccinea on steroids.

o

i don't know where in brazil you live I can just tell you i overwintered it in italy with winter night down to 30 F it seems to survive the cold weather

o

Congratulations. Flowers and seed pods, it must be happy!

However, you can add me to the list of people who have killed this plant! My greenhouse gets too hot (92F or 33C). This is the usual problem, it likes it cool and buoyant in summer rather than stifling hot. There is a tetraploid version which is more heat tolerant, I'm still looking for one here in the UK!

o

Beautiful!....to hot where I live for this one!~Charm

o

hi adam you should try to grow it outside of the green house in summer :) I haven't already seen if it can do weel during summer because it is the first time i Have it we also have summer temps that are 35 C two years ago we reached also 45 c degrees
I hope it will have not problems.
Thank you charm now the second flower is coming out and will start to open soon.
I hope you will be able to find one that will be high temperature tolerant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here