Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tucker_sp

NOID Miltoniopsis

tucker_sp
10 years ago

The lettering is worn off of the tag - the only word I can make out is "Avalanche." Still, it's a lovely flower, with a powerful fragrance that I think is really nice, but difficult to describe - a combination of sweet, citrus, herbal, and spicy.

Tucker

Comments (7)

• inga007

I love "milties" I call them "pansy-faces". This one is very attractive.

• inga007

• inga007

• arthurm
    10 years ago

There is an orchid registered as Miltoniopsis Avalanch (without the e) by the RHS.
    Lovely flower, pity they are difficult to grow in some climates.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Love the color and shape. I haven't had any luck keeping them alive for more than a year. I've given up, even though my heart skips a beat each time I see a well grown plant. Such a delicate color, great growing.

Please share how you grow this.

Jane

• ianbrazil
    10 years ago

There are several things I don't like about Miltoniopsis.
    1. So many are sold as NOIDS.
    2. They look so artificial.
    3. They are called "Pansy" orchid. Well, pansies are a lot easier!

The best one I had was a species called roezlii. It had small white flowers and wasn't all that spectacular but at least it lived for a few years. - Ian

• avondale88
    10 years ago

I live in Alabama and I find miltoniopsis very easy to grow. I grow them under lights in white pots that are designed for cool growing orchids. I water every three days and I'm rewarded with beautiful. I found the secret to growing these is to not use a chemical fertilizer on these plants. I fertilize my plants monthly with an organic fertilizer. I feed them with just a small amount of fertilizer that I add to the water. Since their roots are fine, I found that even a small trace of a chemical fertilizer will produce rooten new growths. My plants really took off when I switched them to the cool growing pots. I always use an organic fertilizer that is mostly water with a small trace of fertilizer. I have plants that are the size of mini cymbidiums. My plants are grown under lights in an air conditioned house. I also have a Vicks vaporizer in the room (got it cheap at Wal Mart) and I have the ceiling fan on all the time for air movement. It took me thirty years to figure out how to grow these plants. I shudder at the amount of money I spent at Orchid Shows, buying these plants, to have them die a couple of months later. My oldest plant that I have now is five years old. Milts are my favorite orchid and I'm glad that I was persistent and never gave up on growing them.