Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
picotee_sofl

C schilleriana

picotee_sofl
15 years ago

Have had this C schilleriana 'Yardley' AM/AOS for a year. It's still very small so I was both surprised and delighted when it presented me with two flowers. This species really turns me on. Such exotic flowers and delightful fragrance...although some have said the fragrance reminds them of tacos this one has what I can only describe as a rather citrusy scent.

Marci

Comments (13)

• jank
    15 years ago

WOW!!!
    A perfect shot , as usual.
    You sure know how to get the best out of your "chids"!
    Jan

• picotee_sofl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Jan. This species has a reputation for being rather cranky, so I'm thrilled to bloom it, especially at this small size.

Marci

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Beautiful flowers, Marci! Congratulations on the blooms :)
    Olya

• Sheila
    15 years ago

Beautiful blooms! A friend is dividing/repotting one now and has promised me a division. He too says it can be difficult. Good growing!

Sheila :)

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

great job on the photography, Marci!

ditto on this species being a PITA to bloom. I purchased one in bloom in 2003. I repotted it immediately after flowering. It bloomed again in 2006. I divided last yr. I wonder how long that I will need to wait again? I've heard/read that the species "resents" repotting.

It's worth the hassles!!

--Stitz--

• picotee_sofl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, folks. Sheila - that's a good friend! Good luck with your div!

Stitz - my plants (species as well as hybrids) usually take two years after I've either repotted or divided them to rebloom. That said, I repotted my 'schillie' after it's one flower faded last year and was really amazed that it bloomed again so soon. I've got another schilleriana that's larger and I'm anxiously awaiting a bud in the first-ever sheath. Fingers crossed! Good luck with yours!
    -Marci

• Charm
    15 years ago

Beautiful!~Charm

• sambac
    15 years ago

So Beautiful, I am trying to grow this for the last few years with dismal success. You are enabling me now! Gorgeous looking flower.

• picotee_sofl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hang iin there, Sambac. It's worth the trouble!

Marci

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

Marci,

Thanks for your encouragement! I figured that 2 yrs for the schilleriana would be the best that I can expect.

After the coming solstice, I will start giving it some more individual attention. Previously, it was growing in a clay pot, although it was really growing all over itself. You have one so you know what I mean--roots wrapped onto older roots. Last year, I attached it to a tree fern plaque. It's adapting. Grudgingly. :-) Life is tuff in the Urban Jungle!

--Stitz--
    Was it Frank Perdue who said, "It takes a tuff man to make his orchid tender!" ?

• chryss
    15 years ago

YES, INDEED !!! That photo was GOOD for ME TOO !! Way to go Marci !!

Stitz, knowing my lack of data, is it my imagination or is schilleriana in the 'Chocolate Drop' hybrid ?? Sure looks like one of the parents !!

Chryss

• bayard
    15 years ago

Very nice, Marci! A friend just gave me a division of his plant. Hope mine does as well as yours.

• ben_in_sofla
    15 years ago

Wonderful plant Marci, I will have to enjoy schillies through your pics this year 'cause it looks like mine will take a pass on blooming. I already see new growths almost 2 inches long and that means no flowers. Maybe I fed it a tad too much and spurred growth instead of flowers. Not enough benign neglect, I suppose.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor