Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miltoniopsis?

Posted by shirley-z-8-tx (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 15:17

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket I bought this one over a year ago and this is the first time has bloomed. I have lost the tag. There is no fragrance but the blooms have just opened. They are 4" at the widest point. I really do like it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miltoniopsis?

Otp. Papageno?

o

I think you are right. My records show I should have Odtna. Papageno 'Lavender Lady'. Maybe this is it. Thanks.

o

Hi Shirley,
The RHS have recognised Miltoniopsis as a separate Genera, so the Genera name is now Oncidopsis. One of the few name changes that make sense to me.

When first posted, I thought Miltoniopsis but the shape didn't look quite right.
Perhaps the addition of other Genera has made it a little bit easier to grow?

Very nice orchid.

o

Yes I do think it is easier to grow. The Miltoniopsis I have do not look as healthy. One just had blooms but not as many as last year. Another one has buds but still not as healthy looking as this plant. Maybe it is the thinner leaves.

o

I found the tag. It had slipped down into the pot and I didn't see it. It is Odtna. Papaggena "Mi Amour".

o

I've been trying to grow miltoniopsis for over 30 years. Every time a new growth appeared, it would soon rot. Eventually, the whole plant would die. I now have found the secret for growing them. I place mine where they get light around 5 pm.CST. I bought a couple of 7 dollars small fans from Wal Mart and placed them where the milts. get the breeze from the fans. The biggest factor in growing these plants is NEVER FERTILIZE, even the weakest application will cause rot on the new growth. Two months ago I ordered cool growing clay pots. I repotted my milts. in them and now my milts are putting out new growths, all over the place. Never fertilize these orchids.

o

Shirley, that is a beautiful plant. I wish I could grow them. I love the flower.

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here