Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Goodyera pubescens

Posted by tucker_sp Z4 MN (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 15:49

And here's a very good-looking orchid plant without flowers, one of our own Minnesota jewel orchids. Pretty common in hardwood and mixed forests throughout the state. I grow a bunch of them in a large pot, but potted this one separately for display. Unlike most of our native terrestrials, quite easy to grow. Before anyone asks, this was not wild-collected, but grown in a bed on private property.

Goodyera pubescens photo 2014-05-04142450_zpsec9653c0.jpg

Tucker

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Goodyera pubescens

Wild collected is not necessarily bad. Raising Rarities has a state permit to collect Cypripediums that are threatened by encroachment of habitat by road work or other construction. They sell them as 'Rescued plants'

Yours is lovely, wild collected or otherwise.

Nick

o

We have the same thing here in MN, but they're mainly concerned with the showy stuff - Cyps, etc.

Tucker

o

I. too have a Jewel orchid, but I think the dark veined leaves are better looking than the bloom itself.

o

True - the flowers are interesting, but hardly showy. I'll try to post a picture when it blooms this fall.

Tucker

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here