Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Pleurothallis pectinata

orchidnick
9 years ago

Cool to intermediate grower from Bolivia and Brazil. I first saw it 3 years ago and have been longing for it ever since. It has pendant leaves which in adult plants, hang down about 1' and hold the leaf horizontal to 1/2 vertical. The flowers are hidden on the under surface and one has to look under the leaf to appreciate them

Nobody had it, I looked far and wide and was unable to locate one. Then I bought a couple from a local grower, the one of two in in LA who have the plant and promptly killed both of them. They made new leaves but lost leaves faster than they made them to rot and I could not stop it. Finally about 1/2 a year ago I found 2 on eBay and bought them from a Hawaiian vendor. Am growing one in the warm house the other in the cold house. Both are thriving, the cold one is blooming.

The flowers are supposed to be pale yellow/green but mine are a burgundy red, need to talk to Andy about that. This plant is still small so the stems of the leaves are not long enough to allow the totally pendant carriage which they are know for.

Nick

Comments (14)