Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maxillaria fractiflexa

Posted by jane__ny 9-10 (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 23:25

Another from Orchidnick:

Found in Columbia and Ecuador at elevations of 800 to 2,000 meters. Even though it officially is a cool grower, this one will tolerate intermediate conditions so worth trying. Probably one of the prettiest and most interesting Maxillarias. In the eyes of the beholder of course

Maxillaria fractiflexa photo Maxillariafractiflexa_zps10ffad74.jpg

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maxillaria fractiflexa

Fantastic looking, but as you say, in the eye of the beholder.
Thank you for posting these fantastically unusual orchid photos.

o

That is awe inspiring. It is going on my wish list. What's its size like?

o

I would call it large, leaves 2' long, flowers 8" tip to tip. Someone told me they saw it in the wild with 1' flowers. One thing I don't like about it is that it seems to bloom stretched out over 2 to 3 month. Last year it had a total of 25 flowers but never more than 6 or 7 in bloom at the same time. Some people like that because it's in bloom over a long period. I prefer the flush of 25 flowers at the same time. Right now it has 10 in bloom/bud. Seems to be improving.

Ecuagenera has it for $20.00. http://www.ecuagenera.com/epages/whitelabel4.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/ecuagenera/Products/PRS2611 You can order from them, they'll bring it to the US for their next show and then mail it to you from there. That way you don't need an import permit.

I could probably make a 3 bulb front division if you want to trade.

Nick

o

That flower is fantastic and has a lot of character but I don't think I have the space for the rest of the plant. Maybe one day I will get more space and I can add this one.

Thank you for the trade offer. That is very generous. I like the idea of trading divisions with others over selling them to others. Maybe we can trade another time.

o

I have never seen that before, probably because it's not Brazilian...

o

A Pleuro expert who frequently travels to Ecuador and Columbia started that he has seen this plant in Columbia with flowers over 12" tip to tip. I stated that I thought Maxillaria speciosa is the most beautiful Max (I just saw a spectacular specimen) but in his opinion Max fractiflexa deserved that recognition.

I have a large Max speciosa which has never bloomed for me, I'm going to start watering it with Holy Water. Speciosa, by the way has a high mortality when imported, few survive the transition. Andy has it but does not list it. You need to ask, expensive but will survive as his plants are established.

Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here