Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Encyclia alata

orchidnick
10 years ago

Warm grower from Mexico and Costa Rica but it seems to be OK outside in my backyard. Long arching spray. Much variation, I see all kinds of 'alats' in my travels.

Nick

Comments (9)

• ianbrazil
    10 years ago

Has this become the orchidnick show?

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm hoping others will chime in. Minimal success so far. This used to be a very active forum 5 to 10 years ago, as was the exchange forum and the conversation forum. I know everyone who reads this has plants in bloom, with the ease of phone cameras (I still have not figured out my electronic 'real' camera) it should be a busy place with all of us enjoying a variety of flowers.

One other forum, which shall remain unnamed, sports 6 new posts just today from 6 different authors. Unless someone takes the bull by the horn, this forum is slowly fading away. Conversation forum is DEAD, exchange forum is DEAD, discussions at times are dominated by dying Phaelies.

Hope others will join in.

Nick

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

Is there an orchid specific exchange forum or are you referring to the general plant exchange forum?

• sambac
    10 years ago

Wow, Nick - I see that you are active with your camera- great!! I am envious looking at your green house /shade house!!

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Right next to 'discussions' is a link called 'exchanges'. In 2013 there have been 7 posts!

This used to be so active that we'd exchange emails all week and every Monday without fail I'd send out a few packages receiving some by Wed. It's an incredible cheap way to get new plants. Example: I'd list 3 or 4 divisions of large plants I have. Someone responds and offers me divisions of plants I don't have. Postage for a priority USPS parcel with 3 bare-root divisions would be approx $7.00 On Wed I'd unpack 3 division of plants whose total cost to me would have been the $7.00.

I'll post a few later today and see if there is a response. The principle is very simple. Offer division you won't miss and accept everything you don't have but want.

Jane, the phone camera is OK but won't photograph small things which is a shame. I have a real electronic camera but haven't figured it out yet. Still have a near professional camera with a macro lens , tripod, macro-flash etc and used to take some real nice regular photos. Need to make the switch to digital.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is specific to orchids.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Greencurls, I posted nice mounted divisions of Stan Assidensis and Max tenuflolia. Let's see what king of response this will bring. 5 years ago these would have been gone in 2 days.

Nick

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

Wow. I never knew there was an orchid exchange forum. I learned something new today. :-)

• James _J
    10 years ago

Here is a photo of my alata, very different.