Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Phrag Eric Young

orchidnick
9 years ago

Phragmepedium Eric Young (longifolium var. hincksianum 'Fernbrook' x besseae 'Glowing Embers') is the full name. Quite a mouthful for a beautiful Phrag. Most of Eric Young hybrids are worthwhile, I'll try to buy any one I can get at a reasonable price. Most sell for more than a reasonable price. This is first bloom on a good sized plant. I grow it cool and very wet. Try to soak it every day. If I have to leave town for 3 days or more, I'll put it in a 2" tray of water.

Nick

Comments (10)

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Side view, note the next bud forming. A multiple bloomer.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The entire plant. These guys will get big with an 18" to 24" wingspan in due time.

Nick

• westoh Z6
    9 years ago

Nick,

Nice looking plant.

On some of my phrags (I'm thinking the ones with besseae in the background), I seem to get a lot of green growth for a few smallish flowers. Thankfully they will bloom sequentially for a couple of months or more usually. I have a couple of longifolium hybrids also, but they don't seem to grow quite as large as the besseae hybrids.

Bob

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not that knowledgeable about Phrags but would like to get some nice ones. I have 2 Kovachi hybrids and a couple of others, the Eric Young being one of them. So far I have not been disappointed.

I'm thinking of getting one a month from Piping Rocks Orchids and just let the collection grow. Not being very familiar puts me in the kind of disadvantage some one would have if they wanted to get some real nice Blcs or Lcs from Kawamoto but are only given the names and the progeny. I guess I'll just get my feet wet and see what develops. They do post photos but since most of them are seedlings, I'm not sure how meaningful that is.

Nick

• westoh Z6
    9 years ago

In my experience those kovachii hybrids will get fairly large, but they can produce some very nice flowers. I've never purchased from Piping Rock before$$$, but I've always heard good things about the quality of the plants. FYI: If you look around, a lot of times you can find the same things that Glen has from others for a better price.

Good luck,

Bob

• westoh Z6
    9 years ago

Nick,

Had some time to dig around and look at some tags last night.

besseae:
    I have a Mem. Dick Clements (sargentanium(sp?) x besseae) and a Cahaba Glow (Sunset Glow x besseae), both are fairly large plants. The 1st one has small red flowers, the second one has much larger sunset shade flowers.

longifolium:
    I also have a (longifolium x Barbara LeeAnn) that stays pretty small but develops lots of new growths (2 or 3 per previous growth usually). I have a feeling the Barbara LeeAnn has longifolium influence also as the flowers look very similar to a straight longifolium.

My 3 kovachii hybrids aren't any larger than the Mem. Dick Clements, but they are a bit younger also.

Bob

• westoh Z6
    9 years ago

Nick,

I'm getting a little confused here... Yesterday I saw on a vendor site somewhere where a grower was using besseae in mini-phrag breeding? All I can say is that my besseae hybrids, definitely aren't mini's by any means.

Maybe it's the other part of the crosses that are contributing the size???

Probably have to get a pure bessea just to see :)

Bob

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not up to speed on Phrags but I would think that any bessea cross would not be mini. I have not done well with them in the past but now, in my cold greenhouse, they are thriving so I'll get more. Basically kovachii and bessea crosses are on my want list but I don't know the answer to your question.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second bud opening up. Look at the color difference, it looks as if the first one has faded.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A better look at the second flower in vivid color. Can't beieve how much the first one has faded.

Nick

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH