Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Tollumnia Golden Sunset 'Waioma Sunset' AMAOS

orchidnick
9 years ago

My first Tollumnia to bloom. I don't do well with these. Once again, lost a few over the winter but stubbornly will get new ones as I really like them.

Nick

Comments (31)

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A couple of the flowers.

Nick

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Nice clone of Golden Sunset. Nick, they are easy! Lol

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Easy for some but not for me! I don't know what it is but very few members of my society can grow them. I must have killed 75% of all of the ones I ever had. Right now about 10 of them are thriving but this is the only bloom so far.

Nick

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Most people kill them with kindness. They are very temperature tolerant but must dry quickly after watering.
    A few scattered blooms during the year but most bloom in spring. Counting emerging spikes at the moment.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I probably grow them to wet. I've suspected that and will move them to a drier location tomorrow.

Nick

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I had a large one in NY. Grew it very dry in full sun. Bloomed every year.

Good growing, very pretty.

Jane

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

8 Tollumnias came up on eBay. Most are $12, one or 2 are $15. Combined shipping brings that down to $3 per plant. Can be found at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111381032498

Nick

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

Nick, what kind of sun exposure do they get?

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Warm greenhouse, fairly dry.

Nick

9 years ago

nick, what kind of pots and potting material?

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I grow them mounted. I have seen them grown in very small clay pots with a little bark. Go to the eBay website I listed and you'll see examples of this.

Nick

9 years ago

Those are the 2 ways I grow them too. I use lava rock instead of bark but that should not matter. Early water, morning and early afternoon sun. Bright shade rest of the day. They get water daily if mounted. Maybe my daytime humidity is higher? Good luck.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My order just came in. The smallest plant has 5 fans, the largest one 14, the average is 9 fans. I thought this was a good buy. The total cost was $120 which included shipping. Cost per plant was $15. Here is a picture of the bunch.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The largest one with 15 fans.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The smallest one with 5 fans. Now I have to make the little buggers bloom.

Nick

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Pretty good value and lovely plants. Look much better than my 350. Better conditions in say Florida. As I said previously I do not know why they decide to grow spikes in June. Getting the light and watering right is the key to (survival).
    Here is a link to local orchid society pics where most of the plants are from my collection.
    Source of orchids: Perreira in Hawaii and local Breeders.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tolumnia & Relations

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. There is nothing like these little jewels. Perreira in Hawaii is no longer in business. Who took over from them? Is there a favorite source accessible to us that you know off?

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I looked over the names of Arthur's plants and other than Robson, none of these names are found with plants available in the US. It's a shame and that situation needs to be corrected

Arthur, I have an import permit, would you be interested in legally selling and importing divisios of these old clones that are no longer available here?

Nick

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Hi Nick, I just got out of bed and turned on the Mac and got a smile from your post.

There must be a Nursery or two in the USA that picked up stock from the Perreira collection and are producing new clones from that sound base.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have looked for years, does not seem to be the case.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I made an exhaustive search and came up with nothing but the same stuff I already have. You are our great white hope. I have more than one friend who will join me in this endeavor. You could make enough money for quite a few shrimp for your barbi.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A few more are going to do it. Here is Toll Tequila Sunrise.

Nick

• tolumniamatt
    9 years ago

I believe that those doing the most breeding in tolumnia are these people -

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchidom

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is certainly a very promising lead. Do you know if they sell to the public or only to commercial growers? I have contacted them, will report on the response. I also found someone in the Phillipines who has an impressive list but their minimum order is 80 of each cross, strictly geared to the commercial grower.

Thanks, Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is Toll Pretty-N-Pink. Not pink but pretty so we'll led it slide. Or is it mislabeled? Arthur?

Nick

• inga007
    9 years ago

Still very pretty, whatever it's name.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Had a very interesting talk with a member of Orchidom.

http://www.orchidom.com/files/onc%20eng.htm

They sell to the public but would prefer the order to be substantial. Fill a box, she said. For Tollumnia that would be 50 to 100 plants. Price would range from $7 to $8 if only one plant per clone was desired. If one takes 10 or more per clone, the price drops. Obviously they are used to dealing with growers. They have an agent in the US so no import permit is required.

The person I talked to is in the Dominican Republic right now and does not have internet access at this time but will mail me a price list when possible. Wen I get it I will try to pass it on.

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the lead, Matt.

Nick

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Tequila Sunrise and Pretty-N-Pink are maybe in the process of being registered. Still Ten English pounds is a lot of moular to some (and me). Tequila Sunrise is lovely.
    Pretty-N-Pink has a minor fault only visible to Tolumnia purists.

Had a look at Orchidom previously and was impressed. Closer to home and you do not have to worry so much about the guardians of the gates. You might have to be careful with âÂÂclonesâÂÂ, are they talking about Mericlones which are usually more expensive than seedlings.
    The other big advantage is growing conditions. The Caribbean is probably Tolumnia Heaven.

Three clones of Tolu. Alyshia showing the variation you sometimes get from the one compot of seedlings which in this case means produced from seed.
    The crossing is Shannon Elizabeth x Sizzler. Sizzler was registered by Robert Perreira. Tracking the ancestors of a cross will usually find an ancestor registered by Perreira or Moir. Thank you gentlemen!

This post was edited by arthurm on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 15:32

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love the variation, all from one cross. Their plants are seed grown, no metric lines. One could easily get several from one set of desirable parents and expect totally different plants they also offer small plants, one or two fans for $4. Another consideration is a major price recduction if one takes 10 of one cross. Since they are all going to be different anyway, why not.

Food for thought. The gatekeeper is not a problem as they have an agent inthe US. The plants are shipped to him and then repackaged to me

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Did not mean metric lines, don't know where that came from. I meant no meristems.

Nick