Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild orchid found in Northern Ontario

Posted by CossecaRose_z3 Zone 3 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 11:51

Here's a wild orchid we found in Northern Ontario just yesterday - enjoy! It was a group of three.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild orchid found in Northern Ontario

Very nice find! Thank you. I bet someone will have a name for that paph. Nick name is slipper orchid or lady slipper.

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 15:12

o

I thought it was a paphiopedilum when I saw it, if I remember my old orchid books... I'd like to know its name though yeah. I have a few moth orchids and they have some similarities to this one. It's seems crazy to see such a delicate flower growing in a zone 3 forest!! It looks so tropical and out of place! But it's beautiful. And it was such a harsh and long winter here! I can't imagine what happens to it under all the snow... dies down to the roots I guess? Fascinating anyway...

o

It's Cypripedium acaule, Jay Phal has this this say about it:

Found in the Eastern USA and Canada and south to Georgia and Alabama in hardwood and conifer forests, in swamps and bogs, dense woods along streams and in coastal dunes as a large sized, cool to cold growing, erect, terrestrial plant from the higher and drier deciduous forests

I have some but they have yet to bloom for me They are a little difficult as they like an acidic environment. I lower the Ph to 4.5 in the water with fertilizer I use on them. It really is not problem just a few drops of vinegar, just a question of getting a Ph measuring device. Found one on eBay for $10. Hopefully next spring I'll have flowers as they are thriving. Last year, without the vinegar they died on me.

If you belong to an orchid society that is looking for speakers, Carson Whitlow gives a very interesting talk about his trek through northeastern Canada to the Hudson Bay, I think he had some photos of this plant to show along with 9 other orchids found there.

Nick

o

Wow! Thank you very much orchidnick! That's really interesting that it likes acidic soil, because these ones are in a jack pine stand. Apparently, the needles these trees drop make the soil acidic... so it all makes alot of sense that they would be happy there. It's really nice to have a name for it. I wonder if putting a bit of conifer needles in your soil would work for your orchid? Maybe it would be prickly to work with the soil afterwards though...

Do you know if moth orchids like acidic soil or water? Mine do okay but I know our water is quite hard here, even though we use a water softener...

I dont' know if we have an orchid society nearby... I could look into it.

I hope your orchid flowers for you - I had moth orchids for years and for the first 4 years I had them they didn't flower, although I was trying everything I could find in books and online. At some point I was getting so frustrated that I was having visions of mowing them over with our lawn mower... :S (They flower now, I put them in a different room where the Temp. fluctuates more and I have maybe 6 of them, so if one is taking a break, another might be flowering. They're wonderful flowers for the winters here. I usually have one or two flowering in the winter (and all winter!) when it's all white and dead outside and I'm desperate for flowers!

o

The local supermarket has a steady supply of table vinegar but is a little short on conifer needles so I'll stick with the vinegar. Hardly any other orchids like that so it's not to be imitated. Orchids generally don't like softened water because of salt but if yours are doing well, don't change anything.

Nick

o

Lol. (I like your comment about supermarkets and pine needles. ) Yup, you're right - if it ain't broke don't fix it...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here