Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oncidium phymatochilum

Posted by tucker_sp Z4 MN (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 19:52

Not a really good picture, as my decent camera has problems, and I used my phone. A very easy and enthusiastic grower. This is a first bloom, so the flower stalk is only a bit over 4 feet long.

Oncidium phymatochilum photo 2013-06-21164553_zpsd0f01619.jpg

Here is a closer view of the very spidery flowers - about 2 inches across.

Onc. phymatochilum Closeup photo 2013-06-21164455_zps187ac864.jpg

It's one that you don't see all that often - enjoy!

Tucker

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oncidium phymatochilum

I've seen it twice in my GH and killed them both! You say it's easy, I don't know what I did wrong as I also thought it was easy but it lingered and faded into the sunset. Nice bloom.

Nick

o

If this is a first bloom, how much bigger can it get?
WOW! Nice going..

o

If this is a first bloom, how much bigger can it get?
WOW! Nice going..

o

Nick - I grow it on sphagnum and don't let it get really dry, and it thrives. Cattleya light. Regarding the question of how much bigger, I've seen inflorescences 10 feet long.
Tucker

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here