• Charm
    15 years ago

It's a beauty too!~Charm

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

SWEET! Great plant!

• bolero
    15 years ago

Looks elegant. Very nice, thanks for sharing.

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

Subtle and understated - a Thoroughbred vs a draft horse. Lovely. Whitecat8

• maloria
    15 years ago

I LOVE all of your Chinese cyms. Had I the room, I'd have a zillion of them. For now, I'll just have to live vicariously through you. Thank you for sharing!

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

Maloria,

Some of them stay about 8" high, and you can control how wide they get, to some extent, by dividing.

Is that too large? Always looking for enabling opportunities...

Whitecat8

• maloria
    15 years ago

LOL! I'm not listening! I'm not listening! Bad Whitecat8! Bad!

Seriously, there's something about a well-grown chinese cym in a long tom pot that sends my heart a-flutter. I just may have to make room for one, or two, or...

It's a disease!

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

Maloria,

Last night, I was measuring my little goeringii 'Teikan,' marginal variegation. I got it 3/06 w/ 2 pbs. It's got 9 pbs now. The leaves stand a hair over 6" high (they're longer than that but curve), the plant spread is about 9" across, the roots are about 4" long, and the 9 pbs are barely 3" in diameter.

Maybe some of the goeringiis get larger, but you could have fun checking it out. Heh heh.

WC8

Snaxsx, hope it's okay to detour your post in the interests of enabling.

• maloria
    15 years ago

Must.... not.... listen!

Sheesh - between you and my husband who's reading over my shoulder and saying, "why don't you get one?", I'm a lost cause.

Actually, there was a vendor at Parkside's Orchid Fest last year with exquisite neos, dens, and cyms - all potted beautifully. Hopefully, he'll be there next month. I may have to visit him first and blow my budget with him.

And, one more thing. Everyone who posts a picture to this gallery is an enabler. Snaxsx (what kind of name is that, anyway?) included. :)

• chryss
    15 years ago

I HATE to add to the enabling but . . . .

{{gwi:1113054}}

the above is my Cym. Nagalex 'Hatsune' (goeringii X Alexanderi) that I got with two others 6 weeks ago. I measured it just now and the height including pot is 9" and the leaf spread is 13". It's the smallest of my three. Boy, I HATed to have to do this . . .hehhehheh !!!

OOPS !! Forgot to downsize the pix but, guess what !! The orchid is ACTUALLY smaller than the pix !!! Howaboutthat !!

Chryss

• chryss
    15 years ago

p.s. I was told by Hatfield Orchids that these plants are 6 year olds, so they won't get any taller. I just measured one of the other two and they're both just about the same at 16" tall incl. a 5" pot and the leaf spread is 26".

Just thought you might need to know that, also !!!

C-

• maloria
    15 years ago

I'm doomed.

First it'll be a few cyms, then a couple of dens, next I'll be shelling out $500 for that perfect varigated neo.

Thanks, guys.

Love you all.

:)

• chryss
    15 years ago

Anytime, Anytime !! Here's pix from the grower of two of mine !!
    Cym. Enzan Sarah 'Albion'
    {{gwi:1113056}}
    Cym. Dorothy Stockstill 'Forgotten Fruit' HCC/AOS S/CSA
    {{gwi:1113057}}

Don't have one of the tiny mini.
    Now that I've finished YOU off, you can DO ME IN with "$500 varigated neo" !! Talk to me about that while I find a towel for the drool !!!

Chryss

• maloria
    15 years ago

LOL!

Sorry Chryss. I staunchly draw the line at financially supporting my own obsessions.

If I ever do go down that slippery slope AND I end up with that $500 variegated neo AND if it ever needs dividing, you'll be the first to know.

.... we now return you to your regularly scheduled program ...

• chryss
    15 years ago

Ahh, the nuances of the archaic, eclectic english language !!! I was not hitting on you for a "$500 variegated neo", just (in my own meek mannered way) wanted you to tell me about it !! I fulfilled a quest for one 2 years ago and went to the GNYOS show with definite purpose in mind to get a Neo as well as a Sedirea and managed to fill BOTH wishes !! NO, it's not a variegated but I DO rank it in my top10 favorite orchids !!! Thanks for the fantasy division offer !!

Chryss

• maloria
    15 years ago

Oh. Sorry. My apologies.

I was at an orchid show years ago in Milwaukee. At the Domes. There was vendor there selling nothing but neos (oh... and you WI people, if you go to that show and that vendor still attends, let me know their name.) All of their plants were beautiful. I picked up a very lovely variegated specimen - it was perfect in every way.

"That's $500," the vendor remarked.

"Oh," I replied, and promptly set it down. I don't think there was anything less than $75 on their table. Sadly, I did not come home with one.

A couple of weeks ago, I was at a party at a close friend's house. He's a true horticulturalist - in fact, he used to run the Philly Flower Show for years. A visit to his home is truly a humbling experience. Every plant is meticulously grown, groomed, and displayed. He had a blooming Sedirea japonica that he got a year ago (he had proudly shown off his new acquisition to me the day he bought it) mounted on the wall. It took my breath away. It was perfection. "I don't like it," he said. "I don't like the flowers." I just laughed and thought that maybe he should be a plant lighter when I leave. And he was. But it wasn't the Sedirea. He gave me a cute little euphorbia bonsai to take home, which I love.

It just goes to show that beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Japan has severely limited farmland. This is why Japanese agriculture-products are prohibitive.

If more neos are grown in America, the price will definitely drop.

• maloria
    15 years ago

Absolutely!

You would think that growers here would have grasped the economics of it. You can probably grow 4 neos in the space of one big phal and charge more for each plant, therefore, at least, quadrupling your gross.

hmmmm....

• chryss
    15 years ago

I'm forgetting WHICH orchid show I saw them at but YES, the price was WAY down from the $50 I paid 2 years ago at the GNYOS show for my simple, plain green neo !!! The plants were smaller than what I got but the price was half as I remember !!! Believe it was the SEPOS, Longwood PA show in March.

Chryss

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

And the Japanese are willing to pay staggering amounts for plants and dogs, for example. A Shiba Inu dog, a native Japanese breed, might go for $1500 in the U.S. for a top-quality dog with show or breeding potential. In Japan, a dog might cost $20,000. Yes, 4 zeros. Of course, word is they've never let Americans have any of their truly fine dogs, but I can't fathom a Shiba bringing a quarter of that here.

An acquaintance who visits Japan regularly and is learning about Neos, Den moniliformes, etc. from some of the old growers said the Japanese can pay thousands for a variegated-leaf Neo, only to have it revert to plain green leaves a year later. Can you imagine?

Till I know the first thing about growing Neos and Den moniliformes, I'm sticking with the no-name rejects. :)

If any of y'all have fancy-dancy Chinese or Japanese orchids, please let us see.

Whitecat8