Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fortyseven_gw

One more view of Lil' Red

fortyseven_gw
9 years ago

This is a bright, true red, less orange than the camera, which seems to favor the green, as the wall behind this is cream, not green. The flowers are small, it is from Trader Joe's. I have it in a humid room. Perhaps it needs to be sprayed. Would you know it's name? I found one on the web, but only called "Little Red." Thanks, Jo

This post was edited by fortyseven on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 0:03

Comments (13)

• arthurm
    9 years ago

The closest you will probably get is a hybrid Reed stem Epidendrum. There is no registered name of Little Red.
    Look up culture notes relating to California. Cold tolerant down to just above freezing and certainly doesn't need misting. A garden plant though some of the newer hybrids do seem to do better in a shade-house or cold glass-house.

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I was calling it Little Red just as a nickname until I found out what it is. Good to know that it can also go out in the garden. Glad you told me it can take the cold, as the room it is in gets cold when the A.C. is on. It got cooked a little sitting in the car, that was why it has a few brown spots. That was why I thought it might need misting.
    I will look up the Calif culture notes now that I have a name, Thanks again, Jo

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

I would not put it in the garden, it does not look like a species and the hybrids are touchy and need to be protected from the cold in the winter. It's lovely but I would bring it in during the winter. The hybrids are also not capable of taking direct sun.

Nick

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Nick,
    This will stay indoors, for sure! Appreciate the info. Jo

This post was edited by fortyseven on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 0:39

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Arthur, I just attended a flowering plant show and sale with a booth sponsored by local Orchid Society. They had others of the one I got in other colors and taught me about care of this orchid. That was almost too easy!
    Joanne

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

So tell us, is it a rough outdoor grower or does it need to be protected?

Nick

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Here is a pic. of a "rough outdoor grower" Lol!

And here is a Pic. of Epi. King Salmon, one that grows better with a little bit of TLC.

This post was edited by arthurm on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 2:47

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Thats quite interesting how hybrid vigor doesnt really apply in this situation. I always hear about crossing orchid species to produce easier to grow hybrids. Introducing heat tolerance in cyms for example or some other finicky aspect.

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Arthur,
    Thanks for posting the photos.
    The pink one you showed above
    is very similar to one they had on display.
    It had a lot of blooms that looked like they formed a ball
    shape.
    They did say it can withstand temperature extremes.
    So, it could go outdoors. But not at my house, too much sun and wind.

I would like to get one like the salmon one shown. With the top part a lighter color, the two-part complex shape of the bloom is more evident.

They explained the older it gets, the more blooms it will develop. Also that it gets taller and taller if not cut back. They said it blooms just once a year.

I will cut the bloom stalk back when the blooms drop off because the proportion on the one I have is just right. It is already tall enough. They told me they have them from time to time at their club meetings.
    At their next club meeting, a lady from Hawaii is coming to bring her orchids for sale. Too bad I won't be able to make it.
    Seems like a really fun club. Lots of enthusiasm.

.Joanne

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Do not cut the bloom stalk back! Just cut the spent flowering head off. You want it to grow a new stem from the base of the base of the flowering cane/pseudobulb and this will be where the next head of flowers come from, these are tough orchids ! Not caspar milktoasts like phalaenopsis. Mine are growing new flowering heads outside in the cold unheated glass-house. Where the temp is at 9:19 pm 8.6C and falling.
    In this room where the caspar milktoasts are growing it is 18.6C.I think you have misunderstood what has been said in the previous posts.
    There is outside with shelter from the worst of the elements and then say plants stuck against a brick wall with a south west aspect with all day sun in the Northern Hemisphere, where only the extremely tough would survive.
    I do not think reed stem Epi. Hybrids are good indoor orchids.

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had not realized those are your orchids, they are wonderful! Thanks for the advice about the temperatures these require. Perhaps I will be able to attend a local meeting to learn how people care for this. Or contact the person who had the two. Thanks for letting me know not
    to cut the bloom stalk. Seems that the blooms have not liked the heat. I moved it from an air conditioned room with fluorescent lights where it was doing fine -- to a warm area with natural light where the phals are thriving. It did not like that, the blooms have shriveled. Now I know why. Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 1:37

• Grandy4
    9 years ago

You say your in zone 9 in CA, which confuses me as I'm in zone 9-10 depending on what map you look at and I grow my Epi's in the ground and in pots outside all year and have for 5 years now with no problems.

Epi. Radecans

• Grandy4
    9 years ago

Epi. Pacific Girl in a pot just off the Lanai in full sun.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus