Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ascda Suksamran Sunlight 'Gold'

Posted by jane__ny 9-10 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 0:57

photo E5E73211-9629-44C8-A678-0B409A697C29.jpg

Got this from Normans a year ago. So far this is a second bloom in one year. Not bad.

Grow it in an empty, coco lined basket and it seems to like it. The roots are growing around the coco without dangling. So far, so good.

Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ascda Suksamran Sunlight 'Gold'

Looks more "orangy" than gold.
Lovely and compact.

o

Beautiful. I have some baskets like that. Is it just attached to the basket and no medium?

o

Beautiful color!

Allymarie

o

Great, I love baskets like that. There is a Mexican swap meet where they sell metal fruit baskets, 14" diameter on the bottom, a central post and a 9" basket on top. All for $5.00. I get as many as I can carry and then take them apart, they make good growing containers.

Nick

o

Wish I had that swap here. I watch any sales and am always on the lookout for something similar.

Yes, Shirley. The basket is empty and, so far, the roots are just wrapping around the inside of the empty basket. A few have poked through but are clinging to the coco fiber.

This is the only Vanda variety I grow because I don't like dangling roots (Nick knows that)! I like well behaved roots, children, dogs and cats - unfortunately I've got Catts which are sending their roots all over the place.

I'm fooling around with the empty baskets to see if I can contain them. But I like baskets which can stand up so I can place them on a table or bench. Oh well,...

Jane

o

Thanks for the info. I got my baskets at Wal Mart for about $5. I am like you and don't care for the dangling roots either. Yours is doing so well I will try one of my vandas in a basket (now potted) realizing this is Texas not Florida. I also have an overgrown cat I removed from bark because it stayed too wet and intend to try it in one.

o

The colors are easy on my eyes. The translucent pale orange is unique. Thanks for sharing.

o

Shirley, let me know how the regular Vanda does in a basket. I'm hoping this one stays put.

BTW, that's what I paid in HD for the basket. I bought a bunch and might stick the unruly Catts in them.

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here