Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olyagrove

this is how they greeted me home (lots)

olyagrove
16 years ago

I was away for more than a week - went to a conference in Hawaii, with my major professor. Did not see much of Hawaii - thanks to the conference and lots of boring presentations...

My husband emailed me and said: you have lots of orchids blooming in the yard! And there is one very unusual fragrant one, with lots of white flowers...

I could not wait to get home and take the pictures after that :) And here are the orchids that surprised me:

Lc. Big Dipper

I think it is Lc. Big Dipper...It is raining outside, so I will have to confirm the tag later :) From Sherwood orchids clearance sale

Colm. Wildcat 'Bobcat'

Originally came as Bagged baby

Epicat. El Hatillo 'Pinta'

Another bagged baby...Had it for...oi...two-three years, since a tiny plant, and it finally bloomed!!!

The flowers appear a bit more greenish in the picture than they really are...

Dagmara Winter Wonderland

Another success story...A friend a while back gave me one (!) backbulb and said it was Brassidium Shooting Star 'Mustard'...well, it was not, but I am pretty happy to have Dagmara Winter Wonderland!

C. Little Dipper x Blc. Sunday

Getting tired of pictures yet?! :)

I missed this orchid's show...One remaining flower, but still worth showing off :)

Neofinetia falcata

And finally, my show-stopper...Lots more impressive in person. It is a 6 inch basket, I think (definitely not 4, but might be 8) I have this plant for a while - 2 years at least. All it did was growing - and this year, with a new spot and more sunlight, it put out such a show...Two more spiked have emerged..

Beautiful flowers...

There are a few more orchids I decided not to post pictures of, as there are a lot already...A few buds too ;-)

I missed my orchids!

Hope you liked the pictures :)

Olya

Comments (18)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

I really love the Epicat and a well grown Neo always makes me happy. Yours is beautiful! Aren't they just amazing plants?

Kevin

• picotee_sofl
    16 years ago

What a lovely welcome home. Beautiful bloomers, Olya. My Neo is budding for the first time in years. It's just a teeny thing - almost lost it last year and it's in recover mode but seeing those buds was a real pickmeup.Hope it looks like yours one day. May I ask what media, if any, you are using in the basket? My little guy is in a 2" clay pot in sphag.

Marci

• sdahl
    16 years ago

They're all so wonderful and what a delightful surprise to return to!! I think Big Dipper is my favorite.

Sharon

• triciami5
    16 years ago

Love them all, what a nice welcome home surprise. Cannot say which one I like the best. Wonderful show!!! Tricia

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

Nice! I bet the Falcata (drool) was the one your DH was going on about?. I always enjoy your photos! Makes me homesick :-( :-)

Clara

• Charm
    16 years ago

Gorgeous all of them! Good Growing.~Charm

• ksmflorida
    16 years ago

They are all really nice. Your neo is fantastic!!

Kinsey

• Sheila
    16 years ago

Gorgeous, all of them. If I had such wonderful plants, I'd never want to leave home! I must get a Neo!!! Yours is stunning, I love it.

Sheila :)

• ebbykay
    16 years ago

Oh my! How can you stand to be away for long when you have such beauties! I have the Winter Wonderland and can't wait for it to rebloom. Just beautiful!

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you!

Marci, my Neo is grown in straight sphagnum moss. Seems to like it.

Thank you for your comments - I am glad you guys liked the pictures :)
    Olya

• picotee_sofl
    16 years ago

Thanks, Olya. That's how I usually see them. Won a Neo falcata at our OS a few months ago and mounted it on treefern. It seems happy but I may stick the entire thing, mount and all, into a basket of sphag after seeing yours.

Marci

• carolinn_on
    16 years ago

Wow, what wonderful orchids. Guess you husband was happy, too!
    My neo has been in sphag. moss for a year or so, and so far nothing encouraging, except it is making new growths, but I'm impatient for it to bloom!

Carol

• me_171
    16 years ago

Could you please post a pic of a spike that has not bloomed yet, I have one and I have no idea what I am looking for, I got excited once but I am sure now it is a new growth which is great but it is so different than the others I have. Thanks for posting your pics they are amazing.

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sure, I can take a picture of a spike, me_171
    any orchid in particular? or just any orchid with a spike?

Olya

• me_171
    16 years ago

The Neo please I have never bloomed this type or had a chance to see a spike on one. So I don't know what to look for on this one. Thanks a bunch.

• ifraser25
    16 years ago

Fantastic.

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, the neo...went out this morning to check -- all spikes have open flowers on them. Sorry...

Neos have very distinct looking spikes - not looking like a growth at all...Coming out from between the bottom leaves, and similar to any vandaceous spike...Hope this helps, and good luck with your neo :)

Olya

• me_171
    16 years ago

Well if they are very distinct I am sure I will notice them, I don't know what vandaceous buds look like I have never bloomed one. Hope this hot summer up here in NY will get them going.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus