Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tucker_sp

Dendrobium lamiyaiae

tucker_sp
10 years ago

A tiny plant with (comparatively) large, brightly-colored flowers. The blooming pseudobulb is a little less than one inch tall; the new growth a bit over two inches so far. This is its first bloom. Unlike its close relative, D. unicum, this one seems to have no smell at all, although it may develop later.

Enjoy!

Tucker

Comments (14)

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Spectacular! Where did you get it, Andy does not list it. Definitely going on my wish list.

Nick

• tucker_sp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nick - I got it from a local orchid nursery, Orchids Limited, of Plymouth, MN. You can find them online at www.orchidweb.com I think they still have them in stock.

Tucker

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Thanks, I tried to order one. They have it, $25 for a 2" pot. Lowest estimated shipping is $21.00!! Total would be $46 for a 2" sized plant. Orchids Limited has many nice plants but I don't ever remember ordering from them as I always found them to be too expensive. Once again this would be the case here.

I'll look for the plant elsewhere, thanks anyway.

Nick

• tucker_sp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nick - that's too bad, but I know how it is - the shipping costs will kill you. I almost never order just one plant, since if I save up, I can generally have several shipped for the same price.
    Fortunately, I can drive to Orchids Limited in about 20 minutes. They are nice folks, usually willing to deal a little bit - I have done trades with them. Hope you can find your D. lamiyaiae.
    Tucker

• tucker_sp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, I noticed while going through Seattle Orchids' online catalog that they have D. lamyaiae listed - their shipping costs may be more reasonable as well.
    Tucker

• tucker_sp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, I noticed while going through Seattle Orchids' online catalog that they have D. lamyaiae listed - their shipping costs may be more reasonable as well.
    Tucker

• whitecat8
    10 years ago

Tucker,

How are you growing the Den lamyaiae? My temps are Warm/Hot. Three Den unicums have done well here, but my understanding is the D lamyaiae likes it cooler.

Orchids Limited is about 20 minutes away for me, too. It's nice to be able to pick out the exact plant.

Nick, for all intents and purposes, O Ltd. is the *only* local commercial grower for us - worse luck.

WhiteCat8

Here is a link that might be useful: Den lamyaiae, IOSPE

This post was edited by whitecat8 on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 6:56

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

Very nice growing, Tucker. I love the mini dendros. D. lamiyaiae is one my wanted list. I just need to make sure that I am able to maintain my D. unicum first.

Nick, Andy's also has Dendrobium lamiyaiae if you are still looking for one.

• Sheila
    10 years ago

Cute blooms, picture perfect!

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Could not find one for a reasonable amount and suddenly, out of the blue, one popped up on eBay. Small plant but 5 spikes, 2 open. I'm happy.

If you punch in 'orchid species' on eBay and do a search, usually more than 1,000 entries come up. Every 2 weeks or so, I make the effort to look through them. The darnedest things come up. That's how I found this one for a sensible amount.

Nick

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

With those flowers must be a bird pollinated cloud forest species.

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Found in Laos and Thailand

Nick

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Still going strong, an amazing little plant.

Nick

• tucker_sp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting that it is blooming now. Mine bloomed last July, and is listed as a summer bloomer. It is still completely dormant, being in a cool area, and not having been watered for the last couple of months. I look forward to seeing when it will start to show buds and new growth this year.
    Tucker