Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coelogyne usitana

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 20:07

Very limited distribution, found only on Mindanao Island in the Philippines. I'm growing it warm. First bloom, one open, another bud in waiting.

I really like Coelogynes, they very seldom disappoint.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coelogyne usitana

Side view.

Nick

o

This species is the only Coelogyne I've ever been able to kill, and in a remarkably short time. It's so beautiful that I'm tempted to try it again, but I don't know. Who knows?

Tucker

o

You are doing better than me if this is the only Coelogyne you've ever been able to kill. I've killed more than one.

Nick

o

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 22:16

I have a hybrid with this beautiful orchid as one parent. As to growing Coel. Bird in Flight it is all one big guess.
The "cool" growing Coelogynes are beginner's orchids here. The ones that might need a bit of warmth are the problem.

o

For us in SOCAL they are all a problem unless a greenhouse is available. It is too hot for the cool growers in the summer and fall and it is way to cold for the warm growers in the winter. I have never been able to grow a Coelogyne outside all year long but they do well in the appropriate greenhouse.

Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here