Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolinn_on

Group Photo

carolinn_on
15 years ago

Hi orchid friends!

This pic contains most of the blooming orchids today. Hope you enjoy.

Carol

Comments (13)

• karmen
    15 years ago

Hi Carol, great shot of your growing area! I'd love to hear what your growing conditions are like in general as I also live in NW Ontario (Thunder Bay specifically)! Right now I have my plants outside in a screen-covered shelf unit; great breeze, lots of sunshine and easy to water.
    Email me though the website if you like, it looks like you are having great success with high light plants, I'm very interested in how!!
    Fantastic!
    Best,
    Karmen

• Charm
    15 years ago

We don't see you often enough anymore, Orchids are stunning!~Charm

• knick-knack
    15 years ago

What a show! Lots of nice plants blooming at the same time. Your entire house must've been filled with fragrance from the flowers...

Good growing!

-Harvey

• carolinn_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi karmen, I just sent you an email. Charm and Harvey, thanks for your kind words. Charm - thanks also for your encouraging words. I've not been in great health for awhile, but am improving. I have about 6 months' worth of orchids to post to my pic'trail account, and hope to do so before long. Then maybe everyone will get tired of me. :) I won't post loads of photos, but will direct people to the pic'trail website. There will be some separate postings of blooms, though. Just can't resist posting one tonight.

Carol
    P.S. For anyone who's interested, I grow my orchids under HPS lights in the basement, and recently added lights to the sunroom, too. I just couldn't grow these hight light vandaceous ones without them!

• xmpraedicta
    15 years ago

Magnificent group shot - what is that vanda 3 from the right of the picture (the grayish-purply one)? that one looks awesome!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

It always amazes me what you manage to grow and grow so well. You certainly don't shy away from those big light lovers do you? Beautiful group of plants.

Kevin

• carolinn_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Calvin, it's Vanda Kultana Fragrance, and is very well named. I bought it at Cloud's a few years ago, and it blooms at least 3 times a year. This is one of a "few" vandaeceous I picked out. I like the ones that have a fragrance, and aren't too gaudy, although they are pretty.

Kevin, my dh likes vandas, so that's a very big reason to have those lights. I'm the one who looks after them, while dh enjoys them. Well, not quite true: dh hangs up the lights and does other technical stuff, so it's works out pretty well.

Thanks all.

Carol

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Stunning display, Carol
    It is amazing what you are capable of growing in Ontario! Well done

Olya

• xmpraedicta
    15 years ago

[Quote]
    It is amazing what you are capable of growing in Ontario! Well done
    [/Quote]

I know..right? : P

I agree about the vandas...I'm too frightened to even attempt one yet, and I'm not a fan of the big round blues and magentas...this one, however, is quite superb. I was also unaware that there were fragrant vandas (you can see how seldom I deviate from my miniatures and dends) although considering angs and neos are vandaceous I shouldn't be too surprised.

• mrbreeze
    15 years ago

Very impressive! However, I do not see a single Ang. :(
    ...tsk tsk tsk

• carolinn_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Harvey, it does make the room smell nice. but not the whole house-wish it did, because I'd love to smell them everywhere.

I'll add almost all my orchids have scents-if they don't I generally don't bother. It would have to be a super special orchid for me to buy one without a scent (good or bad, mostly good, of course).

Calvin, you might want to try this Vanda. It's not too big, leaves are not so large, and as I mentioned, it is a very good bloomer, and of course, fragrant.

Mr. B, I'll have you know that I have the MOTHER OF ALL ANGS - sesquipedale. :) Too bad it hasn't bloomed yet.

Carol

• mrbreeze
    15 years ago

Hmmm...well, neither has mine, so don't feel too bad.
    Also...technically sesquipedale is the KING of Angs I think and magdalenae is the QUEEN. I'm not sure which one is the MOTHER. :)

• carolinn_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Someone must be the mother if there is a king and a queen. Who's the daddy? :)
    (Forgive me, I'm up too late)

Carol