Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ifraser25

The Comet Orchid

ifraser25
15 years ago

Generally you wait a long time to see a comet and that has been the case with this. 4 years to be precise and it was already a big plant when I bought it.. It has been dubbed "Comet" because of the extraordinary long spur. That spur and this orchid became famous in the story of evolution and if you want to know more about it just search "Charles Darwin" and "Angraecum" and you will find several potted versions. It's worth reading. Wikipedia provides a good summary.

As you can probably imagine, I would not describe this as an easy orchid to grow. It definitely resents cold nights, which is why for the first two years it hardly grew at all for me and it is the only one of mine that I have to "coddle" during the winter by bringing into the house.It will always be a favorite of mine, however, as it was the second tropical orchid I ever saw - at the age of about 40. The first was Epidendrum radicans which is remarkable in a different way! I was so dumbfounded, it started a lifelong interest.

Comments (6)