Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Epis from Cal Orchids.

orchidnick
9 years ago

Against my will I was forced to go to Santa Barbara today and bought the following Epis. Cal Orchids has a stunning array of them, every color of the rainbow. Short ones are $10, the tall ones are $17.

Here is the first one:

Epi Pacific Peacock 'Take Warning' x Pacific Sunset 'Pink Rabbit'.

Nick

Comments (26)

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Epi Pacific Sunset 'Pink Rabbit' x Marine Valley 'Hibari'.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Epi Pacific Canary 'Butter Boy' x Pacific Senorita 'Golden Girl'.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Epi Pacific Redhots 'Red Hot' x Pacific Dreamer 'Berry Man'.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Epi Pacific Sunset 'Pink Rabbit' x (Summer Valley x Princess Valley)..

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Epi (Pacific Artist x Pacific Contrast) 'Summer Fling' x Pacific Sunsplash 'Gnarly' AM/AOS.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Epi Pacific Artist 'Yellow Lip' x Pacific Frenzy 'Big Boy'.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And last but not least:

Epi (Pacific Nest x Pacific Heat) 'Warm Glow' x Pacific Glory 'Mutton Chops'.

Nick

• inga007
    9 years ago

Did someone hold a weapon, so you would purchase all these, gloriously coloured Epi's?
    Fabulous.

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    9 years ago

Oh you poor thing! Who would have thought monks could be so cruel. Lovely haul though.

• inga007
    9 years ago

Nick, are you sure they are Pink Rabbits and not Pink elephants? :>)

• allymarie
    9 years ago

Beautiful epi's. Nick! Your kidnappers and those chanting monks sure know how to coerce you into buying beautiful orchids.Shame on them!

Allymarie

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All of them in a basket in the living room.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The tall ones.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The short ones. These are not immature plants that will get taller but shorter growing crosses that will maintain that height.

Nick

• tanie51
    9 years ago

Very Beautiful! Every one of them!

Aren't you happy you have this addiction? Imagine life without beautiful orchids?? How plain it would be??

Tanie

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Very nice and the tall ones are not all that tall. Do you have to make room? If so, what has to go?

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

What the heck are you going to do with all these Epis??

Don't you have a family member to organize a 'intervention?'

Love Canary and Mutton Chops. The yellows are striking.

Jane

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have 3 daughters and a daughter in law who like to decorate their homes with my orchids. Pleuros, Stelis etc are not too popular. They go gugugaga over a Phaeli hybrid that one could buy at HD for $7.00

Flashy Catts, Phaelies and these Epis are a big hit with them. I have trained them to look after them and they come back to me in good shape. Our speaker this month is George Vasquez from Zuma Canyon Orchids, I have asked him to bring me a bunch of outbloomed Phaelies which will serve exactly that purpose when they bloom next spring. Not really part of my collection but very much appreciated.

Arthur, I have lots of room left, I utilize the ceiling for hanging plants and all walls are covered with chicken wire, endless divisions can be stuck on that chicken wire. The warm greenhouse is divided with a wall into really warm and more intermediate. Both sides of that wall are covered with Chicken wire, room for 500 plus orchids just there alone. I'm probably 60% full.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Went to a World Cup Finale party in San Diego hosted by a goosestepping, dyed in the wool German and watched the Master Race demolish their hapless opposition. Enjoyed bratwurst, German beer and all the trimmings. My entire family was there including my orchid loving daughters.

I brought the basket with the 6 Epis down there and it was much appreciated. As I expected, that's the last I'll see of them until they stop blooming. That's really the main reason I bought them.

Nick

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Such a good daddy.

My daughter and two granddaughters just left after spending two weeks visiting. My daughter just looks at my patio and shakes her head. Doesn't say anything, but I know the look. She was horrified when I lived in NY and the living room was covered in orchids and octopus lamps.

However, my daughter loves to spend endless hours composting, growing organic 'everything' in her Connecticut gardens. She's a young Martha Stewart. Everything is so neat and healthy, Formal gardens and all that. Has absolutely no interest in orchids.

My son pops in and says nothing. Pretends the patio area is not disappearing into plant life. He's always cheerful.

So, I grow the supermarket Phals for my dentist or doctor. Now I've been asked by a fitness place to salvage their dying Phals.

Count yourself lucky, Nick. At least you get a vacation a few months out of the year.

Jane

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

These are all my favorites. Especially Red and yellow Pacific Artist x big boy.
    Joanne

• arthurm
    9 years ago

If you stand at the window in the kitchen you can view the back garden. I call it Casual Cottage. The Dragon Woman hates it.... "It is messy". But at least there still is a back garden. If I was one of those Cymbidium fanatics there would be no back garden, just fence to fence Cymbidiums.

Worst of all our children have inherited the messy genes and to quote from above when visiting..... "and shakes her head. Doesn't say anything, but I know the look." Lol.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Nick, That basket photo is charming and very organized. Arthur, are you saying that the gardening genes and the messy genes go hand in hand? I feared as much. Joanne