Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 13:47

Seem to do well in the heat...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE:Blc Terri Henderson 'Paul'

Love that colour. Nice.

o
RE: Den. Susan Takakasi

These plants don't like Southern California. They do real well in Hawaii and Florida but I see them only rarely at the show and brag plant tables at orchid society meetings. I have a couple that are alive and occasionally bloom but not nearly as well as they should.

Nick

o

This type of dendrobium does grow easy here. But this type is the favorite of spider mites and other nasties. So the challenge here is to provide lots of inspections. I guess this kind needs high humidity.

o

And high humidity is something we don't have. Thanks God!!!! I spent a week once on a sail boat scuba diving off the coast of Florida in the Caribbean. I thought the humidity was going to kill me. The only way to escape it was to go under water. Nothing wrong with it, it's just what you are used to. I'm used to the dry desert air of SOCAL which the hard cane Dendrobiums don't like.

Now my cold greenhouse is very humid but they don't like that either, too cold for them. In Hawaii they grow like weeds, the hotel lobbies are overflowing with them.

Nick

o

looks stunning!!! color was awesome.

o

Will the humidity of Florida be OK for the Aussie Dens that you grow in California?

o

I think they are made of granite and will grow in your toilet. I have seen sizable specimen in San Francisco which is humid and cool, not really to their liking.

Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here