Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chryss_gw

Blc. Copper Queen

chryss
15 years ago

Got this seedling last May for $5 ! 3.5" bloom just opened yesterday.

Blc. Copper Queen (Bl. Richard Mueller x Toshie Aoki)

{{gwi:1117183}}

YES, I know it's got some wierd name now ! It'll ALWAYS be Blc. to me !

Chryss

Comments (10)

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Very pretty! I'd have this one by now if it were fragrant. Yes, the new name is strange and I stick to the old one, too - makes life easier!

Carol

• arthurm
    15 years ago

I have a seedling too that flowered with similar colours. Didn't get round to sniffing it at night to see if it inherited the night fragrance from the B. nodosa ancestor.

• chryss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, arthurm, you know you had me going down to sniff it !! Came back with nothing to note but I find that the first blooms rarely have a fragrance and if so, not in the first days. I'll check again later and won't expect anything until maybe next season. It's so gorgeous, who cares !! Just my type of woman = small, nice shape, gorgeous, and does just fine inside without having to go out all the time !!! Perfumed is nice but not required ! :D

Chryss

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Chryss-I like your metaphor. :)

Fragrance being a criterion helps me pare down my wish list. lol

Carol

• chryss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Carol ! I was just kidding about the fragrance ! :D I DO really appreciate them !! My favorite orchid (Bc. Ethyl) has inherited the nodosa fragrance and I LOVE it !!

Nope, no daytime frag ! Arthur has me sniffing every time I go by the Copper Queen now !!

C-

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Arthur has me wondering if I should get a Copper Queen now. And you too, Chryss-if it's fragrant, I may change my mind. I might have to buy it at night, in the dark, to make sure it has that evening fragrance!

Carol

• chryss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carol, the second bloom is opening today but NO fragrance on the first one yet !! I'll check again tonight as I'll be taking her out to show her off socially !!

C-

• chryss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carol,
    Dropped both blooms today = NO fragrance. The petals and sepals got more yellow with age. Lasted 18 days. Second day pix below.

Blc. Copper Queen
    {{gwi:1117184}}

Chryss

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Ah well Chryss...it's a beauty anyway. Thanks for posting. Are you sure it's not fragrant between 2-5 a.m.? ;)

Carol

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

I have a large one which was getting ready to bloom. Left it on my deck (due to construction) and it got fried. Seeing yours makes my loss even worse.

Jane