Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

It's Hab time

aachenelf z5 Mpls
16 years ago

Habenaria radiata

Terrestrial species from Japan growing in a mix of peat and perlite this year. 1 inch flowers on a 12 inch plant. It's easy to understand why these are often referred to as the Egret Flower.

I love these orchids that spend 5 months out of the year sleeping in the refrigerator. Helps with the space crunch.

They also multiply. Last year I had two, this year four, next year 8 and by the year 2022 I should have 131, 072. I think I'll start a Hab business then.

{{gwi:208194}}

Kevin

Comments (33)

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

OMG Kevin, that is to die for!!! Nicccce! Great job!

What's the growing situation and the refidgerator? I haven't discovered these yet?

Clara

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Clara. You really should have some of these. They are just way cool! Here's the scoop:

These grow from a small tuber about the size of a single peanut without the shell. During their winter dormancy, I keep them in the fridge in a small container of barely damp peat. Come Feb or so when I see them beginning to sprout, I plant them in a very shallow pot in the peat/perlite mix. I've also used sphag, but didn't like that as much. I grow these in almost full sun outside. The foliage will begin to turn yellow and die back in October. Then I take them out of the pot and back to the fridge they go.

• mrbreeze
    16 years ago

Those are awesome as usual. I had some tubers once but they never did anything. Never sprouted. I think I got them too late in the year and tried to grow them then gave up and tried to cool them...then truly gave up. Someday I'd like to try again. You can't beat that display. I wonder if you could overwinter them in the ground if you heavily mulched?
    -MB

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know some folks grow these in the ground, but I'm not sure about zone hardiness. They would probably have to be kept moist, but not frozen - maybe a bog area. I did hear of one person who had a nice stand of these in the ground, but they were all dug up by a "guess who"?

• cbarry
    16 years ago

Always beautiful Kevin! 131,072-WOW! It could make a nice retirement plan!

Carolyn

• newbiez8or
    16 years ago

Very cool, anyone know of an online source to order these from? I've been looking for one since I saw one as a bonsai accent plant several years ago.

• sdahl
    16 years ago

You are tempting me big time! I absolutely adore those flowers, but have a problem with "special needs" plants. Sigh...

Sharon

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks.

I've noticed that The Wild Orchid Company has these in the spring and maybe this fall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Orchid Comp.

• sambac
    16 years ago

Cool, cool, cool- watch out you may get comsumed by a Habenaria if they multiply so fast- awesome blooms and a nice picture of the same.

• ifraser25
    16 years ago

Hey be careful putting things in the fridge! I put some gladioli corms in there to store and just stopped my wife in time slicing them up to put in the beef stew...

• carolinn_on
    16 years ago

Very graceful! I like those "egrets".

Carol

• xmpraedicta
    16 years ago

So cool.

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Kevin -

This is why I stay away from the Gallery, darn it.

Right now, Wild Orchid Co. is sold out but says they're hardy for USDA 6-10. Thimble Farms has them, under Pectelis radiata.

Okay, no more peeks at the Gallery.

Whitecat8

Here is a link that might be useful: Thimble Farms

• sambac
    16 years ago

Whitecat 8, did you say zone 10? Oh no, no more gallery for me too.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again.

I love the Thimble Farm catalog. Too bad they're in Canada.

If everything goes as expected, I think I might have a couple of these up for trade this fall or spring. I bet Carolyn will also. Seems like she had extras last spring.

K

• Charm
    16 years ago

Very pretty!~Charm

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Hey, Kevin,

Thanks for the trade info. At the rate the little bunnies multiply, you'd be smart to get rid of some early... and I'll be glad to help you out.

Too bad about Thimble Farms being in Canada.

WC8

• cbarry
    16 years ago

Hmmm, I'm thinking of hanging onto mine to create a breeding colony and become the largest US producer of H. (or P.) radiata. Since I may have a few more than Kevin, I may be able to open the doors of my new business before 2022.

With the way the stock market is doing, this is as good a retirement plan as my stock account is these days ;)

Carolyn

• seedling08
    16 years ago

I just bought the Habenaria radiata or "egret flower" from dutchbulbs.com for $12.95 for two. They aren't being shipped until April but since they are hard to find you might want to order early. I can't wait to get mine. Oh the pictures I will take. Good luck - Christina

• picotee_sofl
    16 years ago

Love it but if I had them in my refrigerator they would undoubtedly be consumed as a salad item. :>)

• sdahl
    16 years ago

Those are THE prettiest flowers!!! I'd sure love to give them a try, but anything in the fridge is fair game for a snacking husband. LOL!

Sharon

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just so folks realize, this is a pic from last summer. I was surprised to see it resurrected.

Christina - Congrats on finding these. I think most places sell out early. Be careful when you receive these. I'm sure by April they will be sprouting already. Mine usually do so late Feb or early March.

K

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

The Wild Orchid Company never answered my e-mail about reserving/paying for bulbs in advance.

Just ordered from dutchbulbs.com. The Web site didn't say they're sold out, so maybe it's a go.

Picotee & Sharon, would a Post-It on a baggie saying "Rotten-tasting flower bulbs in here. You eat - you puke" help?

Whitecat8

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just so you guys know what to expect, I'll try to dig mine out of storage today and take a picture of the actual tubers. I think you'll be surprised at how small they are. I'm glad you found them.

K

• xmpraedicta
    16 years ago

looking forward to it...in case anyone is looking, Hortico sells them too (https://www.hortico.com)...they ship from Canada, but do US orders (I wonder how they manage all the certification). I'm going to order two and see how it goes - I'm not too happy about paying $12 shipping and $17 for the bulbs, but oh well :)

• xmpraedicta
    16 years ago

Never mind - it looks like they're a 40 minute drive away from where I live...sweet!

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Dutchbulbs.com sent an e-mail confirmation of my order. Maybe that means they'll have some for me when the time comes.

Yeah, Kevin, it'd be cool to see the corms (sp?). One site pictures them, but I don't remember any size reference. WC8

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I started a thread with a pic on the discussion side.

K

• mcfingon
    14 years ago

Just got mine from Veseys, yeah, I'm in Canada. First learned about them when surfing for bonsai information. I hope I will be able to take pics of them too.
    Wish me luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Joanne's Garden Photography

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

I noticed Veseys carrying them this year...interesting! It seems like it's a bit late to be planting them though...good luck with yours and be sure to post pics!

• Dallis C
    9 years ago

is there anyone here including aachenelf who would be interested in selling their habenaria radiata bulbs to me? I am just looking for 3 or 4 of them. I don't know how to PM on this new site, so any responses on this post would be fine, or please contact me back at through my email at dallischurch@rocketmail.com

• westoh Z6
    9 years ago

Dang, I thought Kev was back for a second :(

Sorry, no habs here.

Bob

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Some one said about Frasier's Thimble Farm' - 'Too bad they are in Canada'. I have bought from them and find it no different than buying from an American vendor. There is a $25 extra charge for the paper work but they do everything. No import permit is required.I will order from them again.

Nick