Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aerangis articulata

Posted by bcfromfl z8a NW FL (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 25, 09 at 15:14

Hi everyone --

I've been so busy the past months, I haven't had any spare time to spend here. In fact, whole weeks went by that I didn't even venture in my gh! Discovered this guy was in bloom a few days ago, and took some pics. I'm getting ready to leave for three weeks, and I also see spikes on my mystacidii, mooreana, distincta, and biloba (six spikes)...hope I don't miss them. Missed getting pics of my kirkii in bloom, and also a cloud of blooms around my Aeranthes arachnites.

Articulata blooms are 2" across, and the spurs 4-1/2" to 5" long. It unfortunately doesn't smell very nice, which surprised me.

Hope the rest of you ang-heads are enjoying lots of gorgeous blooms in your collections!

-Bruce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aerangis articulata

This one's been on my wish list for a while. I just don't have the room quite yet. By 'doesn't smell very nice', do you mean that it doesn't have much scent, or that it actually smells unpleasant?

That's a wonderful looking set of blooms, regardless of how it smells!

o

Oooh la la...it doesn't get much better than that!
Do you grow it in deep shade? I think I give mine too much light. I *know* I give them too much fungus. :(

I have a few nice spikes growing on some things but I dare not even mention the names at this point for fear of jinxing them.

o

I just came in from trying to identify the "fragrance." It defies anything I can put my finger on. Maybe a chewed wad of spearmint gum that's been left to soak in a pan of water a few days?

I've seen this one grown in "bright phal/low catt" light, which it handles just fine. Those plants I noted had much longer spikes with more flowers. Mine is in probably the darkest part of my cool wall, but doesn't seem to mind...except perhaps with fewer blooms. Interesting that when my biloba was a couple seasons old, I had it in very bright conditions and it put out three or four 3-foot-plus spikes. Since orienting it where it is now, in shadier conditions, it has continued to grow well, but only spits out 18" spikes. Party pooper!

-Bruce

o

WOW this is really something! Congrats on the blooms and thanks for the interesting light info, although the fragrance leaves something to be desired...

Like Mr. B I will cease mentioning anything about the spikes I have. My mooreana blasted to bits days before opening - it was tragic.

Mr. B - how do you know they're getting too much fungus!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here