Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highjack

'Tiz Phal season

highjack
16 years ago

No floof for me, just these gorgeous fragrant blooms.

{{gwi:1117393}} - Dtps. Kenneth Schubert 'Blue Star' - purchased from Hauserman.

{{gwi:142833}} P. Princess Kaiulani - purchased from Oak Hill.

{{gwi:142835}} - another Princess Kaiulani - purchased from Big Leaf.

{{gwi:143420}} - P. luddemannian - purchased from Carolina Orchids

{{gwi:145336}} - Phal. violacea x violacea var. Borneo (Bellina) - purchased from Hauserman

{{gwi:1117397}} Phal. violacea var. alba - purchased from Big Leaf.

{{gwi:206318}} Phal. amabilis 'Spring Bamboo' - purchased from Big Leaf.

{{gwi:140757}} Phal. Hilltop's Jewel - purchased from Hilltop Orchids

The phal area smells like heaven right now.

Brooke - thumbnails are clickable

Comments (10)

• triciami5
    16 years ago

They are all beautiful especially like the first one. Great pictures. Tricia

• sambac
    16 years ago

Oh, my what a lovely collection, you have to share your secret recipe of keeping these plants so healthy and happy.

• sdahl
    16 years ago

Love them all! Looks like your luddemannian grows like mine does--keiki city! I think I must have 5 generations of them on one plant, but haven't had time to pot the little guys up.

Sharon

• mehitabel
    16 years ago

Gorgeous! Nice growing!

• orchidflowerchild
    16 years ago

SHaron: WHy pot separately? You could always just let it be a specimen plant!

But I'm a sucker for speciment plants...

-Cj

• highjack
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone but I have some name changes for the above. It seems the smarter than me, say the P. ludde is actually a P. pulchra because years ago it was called luddemanianna var. pulchra and they have seperated them now.

The P. amabilis is really a P. aphrodite. I also have a labeled P. aphrodite with variegated foliage in spike now too. It will be interesting to compare the blooms. I love making another label to attach that says "probably". Good thing I don't trade plants or hybridize!

Sharon I put my keikei happy ludde/pulchra on a tree fern totam pole about two weeks ago and left all the keikeis attached to the main plant. Currently it has seven spikes and I'm sure some of them will be additional keikeis. I want the entire totem covered with plants.

Brooke

• xmpraedicta
    16 years ago

awesome variegation on that phal!

• chi_town
    16 years ago

Brooke,
    Is that the true color of your Dtps. Kenneth Schubert 'Blue Star'? I recently purchased the same plant from Hausermann's and mine is what growers call blue, but I call it light lavender or lilac.
    Marci in Chicago

• highjack
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marci the color shown above is actually too reddish purple than the actual bloom. It is very hard to photo purple and get it accurate. The bloom is more purple than pictured and the lip is extremely dark purple. You have to use your imagination to call it blue except for perhaps the lip. The second bloom opened today and it shows the first bloom has already lightened up.

calvin I have another variegated phal that is named P. aphrodite subsp. Formosana 'Mini'. Different pattern than the one above and it is in spike now. When it blooms, I post a pick of it too.

Brooke

• carolinn_on
    16 years ago

Great growing! They are all beauties. The Phal. lued. (I refuse to all it pulchra):), is so far my favourite species Phal. I say 'so far', because my Phal. hieroglyphica is starting to bloom today, first time. I hope my lued. will grow up to have loads of keikis, like yours!

Carol

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area