Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Dendrobium Hilda Poxon (speciosum x kingianum)

orchidnick
10 years ago

This one is sporting it's first bloom The tag reads Hilda Poxon (Dned speciosum Yondi 'Big Mere' x kingianum 'Black Beauty'). It came from Australian Orchid Nursery, a nursery which has a good reputation for accuracy .

I find it confusing maybe Arthur can chime in. I thought all Hilda Poxons had speciosum x tetragonum as their parentage. This one has a speciosum x kingianum listed as parents. Comments Arthur?

I bumped the other HP up for comparison.

Nick

Comments (9)

• arthurm
    10 years ago

Hilda Poxon (Hilda Poxon (Dned speciosum Yondi 'Big Mere' x kingianum 'Black Beauty').
    That is a pretty daggy looking tag, especially the lack of the second bracket and the (Dned speciosum Yondi 'Big Mere'
    bit. Yondi was the clone name used by Sid Batchelor, one of the pioneers of Australian Native orchid breeding. So is Yondi a hybrid name or a clone name?

My understanding is that a lot of the early breeding efforts used kingianum and that orchid seems to dominate in flower form and flower shape.

Den. speciosum x kingianum gives Dendrobium Delicatum an easily grown hybrid. Sorry, no pics. But there are some quality plants around

Then they used what was known then as Den. tetragonum var. gigantum and found a path to get out of a block and even introduce Den bigibbum into the equation. Den Silver Eye contains bigibbum. You can see the tetragonum influence in the following hybridsâ¦
    Dendrobium Hilda Poxon

Dendrobium Silver Eye

Dendrobium Hilda Poxon âÂÂNevilleâÂÂ

Dendrobium AvrilâÂÂs Gold

Australian Judging Standards probably are different to AOS Judging standards but my impression is that AOS judges do not like to see crossed feet on the lower tepals.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry about the tag. The tag reads Dend Hilda Poxon (Dend speciosum Yondi 'Big Mere' x kingianum 'Black Beauty'). Only 2 brackets. My point is that I always thought a spec x kingi cross would be called Delicatum not Hilda Poxon.My question is whether the tag is flat out wrong or if there are exceptions and for some reason this plant can be called Hilda Poxon.

Nick

• inga007
    10 years ago

Since I'm only a "lurker" the "name is the same", but the bloom is most important

• arthurm
    10 years ago

Sorry Inga. I do not get the gist of what you are saying...

Anyway, here is a pic. of a typical Dendrobium Delicatum.
    This time labeled Den. x delicatum which is a shorthand way of saying that this was a natural hybrid found in the wild.

Hope the owner doesn't mind me borrowing the pic.

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

Beautiful blooms. Is Den. Hilda Poxon close to Den. speciosum in size?

• arthurm
    10 years ago

Just measured Den. Hilda Poxon 'Neville', The canes /pseudobulbs are about 15 inches tall.
    I suppose hybrid plant size depends a lot on which varieties of speciosum and tetragonum are used to make the cross.
    The name Den tetragonum refers to pseudobulb shape.

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

Thanks for measuring your 'Neville' Arthur. 15 inches is very manageable. I will just need to be mindful of the varieties used before I purchase one.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dendrobium tetragonum is fairly steady Usually the same with long tails and lots of red. Debd speciosum has a huge variety of expression. I have a grandiflorum where the cane and leaf measures 44" this year. Each year seems to get a little longer. Then there are varieties where the full adult cane is a stubby 5" and fat.

Your Hilda Poxon can have the same variety of expression depending on which speciosum was used. I have 2 (not counting this one here which is probably a delicatum). One is pictured in the other thread the other has not bloomed yet. It shows more red but the yellow is not as intense and the legs are crossed. In addition it is a very slow grower and a skimpy bloomer. Definitely inferior to the one shown.

Ideally try to see the adult plant in bloom or at least a picture of it before making a purchase. They are not all the same. I could send you a little piece of the one in the other thread which is a very large plant. Email me directly if interested.

Nick

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

Thanks, Nick. I will email you.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?