Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olyagrove

Phals!

olyagrove
14 years ago

I love phals, and I am especially fond of species and violacea hybrids...

Blooming now..

(P. Taipei Gold x Brother Jet)'Taipei Gire' x P. violacea 'wu'

From Orchids August 2009
From Orchids August 2009

Phalaenopsis pulchra

Happy fast growing phal - needs lots of light

It is impossible to capture all the flowers and keikis - just a mass of them, when this phal is in bloom

{{gwi:198502}}From Orchids August 2009

From Orchids August 2009

Phalaenopsis violacea var. coerulea

From Orchids August 2009

Phalaenopsis violacea

One of my all time favorite orchids...

From Orchids August 2009

Thank you for looking in!

Olya

Comments (14)

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

What an amazing looking violacea, Olya! The scent must be fantastic.

And that pulchra is incredible - is that a tree fern totem pole you have it on? Interesting about the light requirement - didn't know that. Great growing

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

So pretty, Olya. Are they growing outside? I am so jealous, I haven't had luck growing them. They are lovely,

Jane

• highjack
    14 years ago

Isn't the pulchra just amazing when you put it on the totem? This species just begs to be mounted so it can ramble all over the place.

Your last Phal. violacea was probably labeled violacea var. Borneo when you received it. It is Phal. bellina now - the magenta "star" is a dead giveaway to the ID.

Beautiful blooms and even prettier foliage - I love pretty foliage.

Brooke

• sambac
    14 years ago

So, so pretty!!I want to try the pulchra again. Some of mine- species and hybd's are doing so well in my 'phal tree'- mounted to the tree or to a tree fern mount. Have to give pulchra a shot- I am wondering it is too warm down here. BTW, your Belarus pics are fantastic!!!

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, thank you!

Brooke, you are absolutely right, it is bellina - I never went out to check the labels when uploading pictures :)

Jane, thank you - yes, all growing outside..Phals do very well during this time of the year - they seem to love the heat, the humidity and lots of rains

Calvin, yup - that is a treefern totem...Like Brooke said, pulchra "begs" to be mounted. I got the plant as a keiki planted in bark, two years ago - immediately put it on the totem...Very pretty plant, with spikes all over the place

Sambac, you should certainly give it a try! I think it likes heat and sun...I have one in sphag growing in less light - what a huge difference - the plant is barely growing in comparison...
    USF botanical garden always have pulchras on sale - like 7/8 dollars for blooming size keikis. I think one of the workers there has a mother plant, and they keep selling the babies it produces!

• Sheila
    14 years ago

Gorgeous phals. I love the leaves on these plants. If the pulchra likes heat and sun, then it's one that I should try. I'll have to shop around for one.

Sheila :)

• sambac
    14 years ago

Olya, if you are ever in that part of town(USF), grab me a couple of keiki's- I will mail you the $$ for it- if it is not a hassle for you. Thx. I saw them at Redlands, passed on it due to my prior murderous experience!!

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I can try shipping you the plant from USF botanical gardens shop...It might take me some time but it is doable
    The plants are blooming size in I think 4 inch plastic pots
    Email me : olyagrove AT gmail com ...I can stop by the gardens next week or two and get more info

I think the ones they are selling have some superior genetics! Healthy plants

• conjuay
    14 years ago

Beautiful flowers!
    I'm going to a sale today at Tom Ritters and I'm going to be looking for a pulchra!
    I'm new to all this,and want to get some sort of 'greenhouse' going,- it looks like you have a metal pipe frame, and the plastic material used as temporary fencing, and then shade cloth. Is that your basic shade house? Do you then add a clear plastic for the cooler nights in winter?
    I probably get a little colder than you, Tampa is a touch warmer than Orlando, and I'd love to get a good outdoor system going!
    Thnx

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Conjuay

Yup, mine is a shade house...A metal frame, 10 x 20 x 9 (height)...I bought shade cloth (50% shade) and sew it to fit the shape
    Plastic fencing thing from Lowes used on sides and top for hanging pots
    And in the winter time, end of November to beginning of March, I put plastic over the entire thing (bought a roll of thick plastic online)...If it gets too cold, I put a heater (space heater) on and close off the doors overnight

So far so good...I have had it for three winters already. First winter, one frost got two or three plants - just some leaf damage, but then I did not use a heater. {{gwi:171946}}From Orchids May 2009

• triciami5
    14 years ago

They are all beautiful, and love the picture in your green house. Always enjoy the pics you have on here. Finally got a digital camera so hope to put more pics on. The trouble is my daughter borrows it, and when I am ready to take a picure of one that is blooming she has it. Got to do something about that.

• ifraser25
    14 years ago

Great growing! I've just thrown away about 6 Phals. I've decided they're no good in the garden. Too many critturs eating them!

• conjuay
    14 years ago

I found a pulchra at Ritter's as I hoped I would. Mounted to an eight inch tree fern ball, can't wait til it grows in!
    I do need a shade house, so forgive me all the questions regarding yours,- it does seem like it would work for me.
    Thanks,

• Charm
    14 years ago

Beautiful blooms!~Charm

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville