Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Bolbophyllum (aka Cirrhopetalum) makayanum

orchidnick
10 years ago

The classical, perfect umbrel. A very common plant readily available probably one of the easiest Bulbos to grow. Grows like a weed and makes a large matt. Once blooming it blooms off and on continuously.

Nick

Comments (11)

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Spelled makoyanum. There is a yellow version which some people call the 'real' makoyanum. I have a small plant a couple of years from blooming obtained from a Bulbo collector who considers it much more valuable because of it's rarity.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Since the posting of this in early August, this plant has been in continuous bloom. Never an overwhelming display but anywhere from 1 to 3 open all the time.

Nick

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Beautiful. I have never seen one before.

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Nick, is this in a pot? How is it potted (pic request if willing!). I've always struggled with bulbos, never bloom them and only barely keep them growing. I've kept them in baskets, and in pots with sphag, all to no avail. However; I've recently started using fine bark on certain plants (I'm a decade late to that game) and I think it's turning things around for some species. In particular a NOID caryenum type has never looked better, and I think it might be my key for paphs and phrags. I've only ever used s/h, straight sphag, sphag/coarse/medium bark mix, or straight coarse bark.

If this worked out I might seek out other pot-appropriate (-ish, anyways) bulbos.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's in a big, 12" or 14", I'll measure tomorrow and take a pic, shallow pot. 1" of Styrofoam peanuts at the bottom, then 3" to 4" of sphagnum moss. Keep the moss dripping wet, soak it every 2 days. Water runs out the bottom because of the peanuts. Change the moss once a year. Keep it warm, minimum 60F in the winter,

Seedling bark should work, drainage at the bottom. I fertilize weakly with every watering, use a whetting agent for better moss penetration. Don't see too much root formation but since dinner with drink is served up continuously, it sees no need to expend a lot of energy on roots. AI also grow it mounted and have one in a basket, where they probably get less water and make more roots.

Nick

• terpguy
    10 years ago

That would be wonderful, thanks nick.

Im wondering if the sopping wet part might also be the key. I let them approach dryness, while avoiding a hard dehydration. But now that I hear you describe it in such terms, I realize that I've never heard of a bulbo rotting before. Not that it doesn't happen but in te more than a decade I've been posting on forums, not once have I seen someone post about rot.

I find it odd that my bulbo would be doing better in bark than it did in moss. But as long as it's doing better that's all that counts.

This post was edited by terpguy on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 13:11

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's 12' x 56" tall. The moss goes within 1" of the top, there are 1" peanuts on the bottom.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The other pots I use for Bulbos are all shallow, measuring 12", 10", 8" and 5".

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's 6" tall. At 56" I could barely reach the top

Nick

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Bulb pans....of course. Bloody brilliant! I know what my next purchase is going to be!

Thanks a bunch Nick!

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

akoyanum-true-species-IDd-verified-Rare-BS-Div-/171189007068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item27dba8f2dc

If you go to this eBay link you'll see a picture of the yellow form.

Nick

Sponsored