Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Tollumnias

orchidnick
9 years ago

Tollumnias deserve a home too. There are enough around, i thought to start a thread just for them. I'm sure Arthur will have some beauties to share., I have 3 open, 2 in spike and a whole bunch of young plants that should bloom in the spring if they survive my expert care.

The first one out of the gate will be Rrm Spunky x Rrm Misty.

Nick

Comments (76)

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tolum Orchidom Good Works 'Alameda' HCC/AOS x Zel onusta 'Arbec' AM-CCM/AOS, another mouthful for a little plant.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one is much easier:

Rrm Orchidom Alamed Beth x (Tolum Alameda Jov 'Orchidom' HCC/AOS x Rrm Orchidom Dancer). Why not just call it : 'Sue' , that would work for me. First bloom on a tiny plant.

nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just noticed that this is another plant with that name, will have to call them #1 and #2. They are seedlings so are different although with the same color patterns.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rm Orchidom Alameda Beth x orchidom Dancer #3. It is the third seedling with this name that has bloomed. A picture of a previous bloomer is somewhere above.

Nick

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Very nice! Alas, I have no pics to post. You comment somewhere above about the quirky names is appropriate.
    They do not follow the same pattern you see on other Genera.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

I have probably posted pics of this one before. Bred and registered by Moir. One of his weeds.
    This clone produced by Jones and Scully. Had it for ages. Easy to grow and vigorous.
    Tolumnia William Thurston 'Orchidglade'
    {{gwi:2129253}}

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What a beauty

Nick

• zzackey
    9 years ago

So what does an oncidium look like if those are no longer classified as such?

• arthurm
    9 years ago

That is the 64 Dollar question, I do not know the answer.

In the great renaming one Genera that most orchid growers knew as Odontoglossum have been changed to Oncidium so it is impossible to quantify a typical Oncidium shape.

Colmanara seems to be now Oncostele and so on.

I should go through all the orchids pictured in the link below and check that the names are current, but I'm putting that little chore on hold, just in case the names all get changed again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oncidiinae sub-tribe pictures

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another one opened up. RRM Orchidom Happy Choice 'Alameda' HCC/AOS x Tulomnia guttata Orchidom CCM/AOS. Imagine crossing this one with another one with a name just as long and listing both in parenthesis!

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view.

Nick

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

The tollumnia's are photogenic. This like several of my tollumnias has no tag. By chance if you know it please provide.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice, but sorry, don't know the ID, maybe Arthur does.

Nick

• inga007
    9 years ago

Love that trio Orchidom Happy Choice 'Alameda'

9 years ago

Do you think the one above could be Rodrumnia Murramarang 'No.3' shown on this thread?

• arthurm
    9 years ago

RRM Orchidom Happy Choice 'Alameda' HCC/AOS x Tolumnia guttata 'Orchidom' CCM/AOS. Orchidom are probably waiting on a wealthy orchid grower to shell out the ten English Pounds required to register a name.
    Love the "Strawberry" markings.
    Looked up Tolumnia guttata and it was described in 1994.

SM. I have no idea re. the name of your hybrid.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tollumnia Firecracker 'Bang' x Tolu Pine Hollow 'BB', got it in a trade, don't know where it originated.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

T Private Stock x Rrm Just Dandy x Windsong, a bunch are breaking out in spike.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tolum Golden Sunset

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rrm Starlet 'Betty B' x Tol Bob Dugger 'Sundancer' HCC/AOS

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rcdm Robson's Choice x Onc Richelle

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tolum Firecracker 'Bang' x Tolum Pine Hollow 'BB'

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tol Elfin Gem 'Kultan' x Rdm Peach Hollow 'Told Uso' AM/AOS

Nick

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Would someone like to share in the expenses of mounting an expedition to Arthur's growing area ? We could do some plant collecting :) Needless to say, I can say that I wouldn't mind having almost any of these Tol.

• germangirl (Eve, zone 9, Houston)
    9 years ago

Here an Onc. Tequila Sunrise (plant looks like a Tolumnia but is a bit bigger) that looks completely different than Nick`s Tol. Tequila Sunrise.

(I`m still on the learning curve; how do I turn the picture? on my desktop it was displayed the right way)

9 years ago

And here is Tolumnia 'Rainbow Charming'

I am just amazed by the diversity of those cute little orchids.

(no idea why it rotated this one by 180 degrees?!)

• arthurm2015
    9 years ago

Hi Eve, good to meet another grower of the little beauties. At least you are posting photos. I've been reduced to links. There is a big variation in the flowers of seedlings from a single crossing so that perhaps is why your plant is different to the one grown by Nick.

As far as crossing the big big puddle to view my collection....it would be a complete waste of time, Nick has more variety now. Also there are two sets of guardians of the gates. When my daughter went to the USA they confiscated her tube of toothpaste....it was 25ml too large. Lol.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is an easy way to get little plants across the pond. From AU to the US. The AU postal service has a little flat box specifically designed for discs. It's about 3" to 4" square and 1/2" tall. Since it's obviously made for discs, nobody ever checks them. Postage is a little more than $2.00 US. It will house a seedling plant without difficulty. An AU nursery, who shall remained unamed sent me dozends of their seedlings. that way That was 10 years ago, they are all either gone to the compost heap in the sky or in gorgeous bloom. When one of them blooms for the first time it's like Xmas as I can haredly remember what they ooked like when I bought them. Tolumnia could go the same way. I don't think it works the other way from the US to AU. The Gestapo at your border is more vigilant than the overfed bureaucrats at ours.

Nick

9 years ago

There might also be a difference in the parentage since his said Tolumnia and my says Oncidium (Tequila Sunrise).

I am originally from Germany and I go back with my daughter every summer so I know what you are talking about. No problem going to Europe or flying within Europe but once you are going to the USA it`s a whole different ball game. One year when my daughter was still small and kind of accident prone they confiscated my nail scissors (the blade is about 5/8 of an inch long) which I used to cut up band aids that you can buy in Germany by the meter. Did they really think you could kill anybody with those??

9 years ago

I bought two Tolumnias from a private seller in Bulgaria last fall and they got here no problem. It was not until a few month later when I was looking into buying some orchids from Australia that I realized that I had been lucky on my bulgarian purchase.

9 years ago

I just bought tol. tequila sunrise at our annual show last weekend.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Orchidom from the Dominican Republic has a nice selection. They wait until they have a huge shipment, bring it to Florida and then break it up and send it to the individual US customers from Florida.

Nick

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Except of course, Orchidom no longer sells retail :(

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's what they say but I have talked to them and they will continue to sell retail.. Not 1 or 2 plants but certainly not the 200 plant limit they ware talking about. That's what I was told in Sept, I don't know if it has changed again.

Nick

• dbarron
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hmm, well if anyone knows, let us know...and I'll contact them!

Probably safer than raiding Nick and Arthur's greenhouses (buckshot).

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The above is #1

The one below is #the one below is #4

At the Santa Barbara Orchid Show there was a vendor from Taiwan who sold
    a new Tollumnia (new for me). Tol (Jairak Firm x Jairak Rainbow) is
    the only name used for this bunch of plants. I picked out 6 that had
    different looks.and simply added #1, #2 etc to the tag. 4 of the
    flowers survived the trip home in the back of a truck at 94F. This is the best demonstration of seedling diversity and how extremely different they can look.

Nick

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Yep, you almost can make a total collection from that one cross.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A new one, Tolu Golden Sunset 'Waiomea' x Elfin Gem 'Kultnan'

Nick

• aztcqn
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You all don't know how much I adore these little guys!!!!! I've been out of the orchid world loop. To me tolumnia is a surprise renaming for this little (once upon a time oncidium) orchid. Odontoglossum (another favorite patterned flower) is another surprise change.

Tollumnia has a nice ring to it. I stopped buying them because I couldn't get the culture / watering balance quite right. Too hot and dry and I don't have a greenhouse to control humidity. I didn't have the heart to condemn anymore.
    I am living vicariously through this thread. Nick and Arthur your little gems are SO cute and beautiful. Shavedmonkey, that's a definite photogenic beauty.

• dbarron
    8 years ago

Ok, the enablement has succeeded, I placed an order for Tol (Elfin Gem x Golden Sunset) from Hausermann a few minutes ago. Jumping onto the Tolumnia wagon in a small way :)

8 years ago

I thought somebody else had already posted a Genting Volcano here before but when I looked today I couldn`t find it, so here you go:

Tolumnia Genting Volcano

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here are the rest of Tol (Jairak Firm x Jairak Rainbow). That's one cross giving 6 different looks. The photogenic Tolums are like the stars in the Milky Way, unlimited variety.

Nick

8 years ago

Another little gem:

Tolumnia Sun Set x Elfin Gem

• arthurm2015
    8 years ago

It is nearly winter, down to watering the little babies once a week. Set up the heater a week ago to warm up the babies from 4am to 7am when electricity is 7C a kilowatt hour.

Fingers crossed that not too many spikes will be eaten by hairy caterpillars, slugs or snails.

Eve, your little gem is probably Tolu. Golden Sunset x Elfin Gem.

Purchased 2 at an orchid show the other day. And that is all I purchased, Have to down-size to make room for more little babies.

• dbarron
    8 years ago

Arthur I think you're right...looks just like the Golden Sunset x Elfin Gem I bought a month or two ago.

8 years ago

Yes, you are absolutely right Arthur it is Tol. Golden Sunset x Onc. Elfin Gem. I lost the 'Golden' somewhere on the way when I saved the picture on my computer.